LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

x pipe importance

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default x pipe importance

alright, if I don't run a xpipe, how much hp/tq would I really be loosing??
Contemplating running dumped bullets after longtubes instead of a ypipe.

I don't want to go through the trouble of making a x pipe work on my car, as I have the spohn crossmember mounted torque arm.

Anybody running them that close dumped on their DD? I like to cruise with my windows down, I might not do this if a lot of fumes could get in the car dumped this close and proceed with my plan to run a y pipe and get it over the axle and straight out.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much power will you loose? You not going to loose any at all, X-pipes make the most power, H-pipe is stupied and doesnt creat a scaving effect, and Y pipe is about the worst exhaust setup.

Your going to pick up a good amount of power from switching from a Y pipe setup to true dauls with a X pipe.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by camar0corey

Anybody running them that close dumped on their DD? I like to cruise with my windows down, I might not do this if a lot of fumes could get in the car dumped this close and proceed with my plan to run a y pipe and get it over the axle and straight out.

My car has a open Y pipe right now and ITS LOUD!!!! Its stupied loud, and I smell like exhaust fumes when I get out of the car.

Its cool at first but you have to watch you speeding because it draws so much attention to you its not even funny.

Somone yelled at me because they thought I was speeding in my neighbor hood, in fact I was going the legal limit.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Well sometimes I run around with my cutout open, but thats mounted in front of the rear tire, thats why I was wondering if I ran bullets dumped after the headers, but maybe I will see how far back I can take some pipe, I don't know, I might stick with my ypipe plan.

I was wondering how much is the hp difference between a x pipe dual setup and a dual setup without a x pipe, I already know that I won't loose any HP by running a xpipe, sorry if it sounded like I was asking that.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
How much power will you loose? You not going to loose any at all, X-pipes make the most power, H-pipe is stupied and doesnt creat a scaving effect, and Y pipe is about the worst exhaust setup.

Your going to pick up a good amount of power from switching from a Y pipe setup to true dauls with a X pipe.
This post is full of useless and false information. X-pipe and H-pipe work in different ways. X-pipe will usually yeild more hp, but less torque than an hpipe will. An h-pipe will sound better than an x, but either will be better than straight pipes. Therefore, neither is stupid. Heres an article that will explain a little more.

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...eakdown-5.html

Try searching too, theres a ton of info out there on this subject. I used an h-pipe on my duals and love it.
There are a bunch of pictures of the dual exhaust i built on my putfile site. It was very easy with the flowmaster universal dual exhaust kit and dynomax bullets. You can scroll through and look at some of the pics.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3811976

Last edited by Strokinit383; 02-18-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

^Thanks, where does your dumps end at? The h pipe looks very easy to do, I have the spohn torque arm, so far only one person has posted up duals with the spohn torque arm, and they had the xpipe in the crossbrace, and they said it was a pain in the ***, but the h pipe looks doable.

Is your setup 2.5" or 3"??
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mines a 3". The pipes dump right before the rear axle. The H that came with the kit was preformed and very simple to add. My longtubes are lower than the exhaust, so it tucks up close to the car. Im also lowered with the prokit. If you have any questions just let me know.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Launching!

strokinit, don't suppose you have a sound clip of your car?
Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

As you can see im not a big fan of H pipes.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

im gonna run bullets off my headers and then dumped. But mine is not a DD, its a street/strip car only so i can get away with it eaiser. And what ever set-up you do, get it tuned for it. Each will work good if the car is tuned for that specific set-up.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

im got duals to the rear axle then dumps, only complaint is they act like a leaf blower and stir dust around my black car
Old 02-19-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me see if i can get a sound clip of my car today. Its supposed to warm up this week so if not today i will this week. I dont have a video camera, but i think my regular camera will take short clips of video. Let me see what i can get.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Can you get a picture of the underside of your car? I'm just wondering where it is going to run under the car, I have the spohn torque arm with the cross brace for longtubes, and slp subframe connectors. My worry with running duals was running into a fitment issue with all that stuff under the car.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

im doin a x pipe with bullets dumped before the axle. It will sound badass on our LT1s.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

do you think you have to get it tuned when you change the exhuast set up?? Do you guys have exhaust smell in the car when you run it before the axle???
Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Running dumped bullets right after the longtubes on a daily driver is pretty stupid in my opinion. Do you realize how ungodly loud it is going to be and how incredibly fast you will get pulled over for it? If you are set on dumps you should run them back a while at least like to before the axle. I ran a 3 inch x pipe with bullets dumped before the axle for a few months and it was stupid loud, couldn't hear myself think inside the car, radio was worthless, having a conversation with any passenger was the two of us yelling at each other, and I must have been pretty damn lucky to not get a ticket for it. However the dumps sure did sound good and mean while I had them
Old 02-19-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree. I had a bullet on the end of my y-pipe then dumped. (look in my sig.) It was loud as hell! BUT mine is not a DD, its a street/strip car and i only drive it once a month maby so i like it. But if it was a DD, F-that!! And IMO, everytime you change something you can always tune it a tad. Only thing is, its gonna get real expensive if you pay for it all the time, lol. Only if you can tune it yourself with lt1 edit or something like that.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Our local sponsor says an X pipe yields around 10 more rwhp than the ypipe setup all things being equal. On big horsepower cars, that can turn into a bit more.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt197formula
Running dumped bullets right after the longtubes on a daily driver is pretty stupid in my opinion. Do you realize how ungodly loud it is going to be and how incredibly fast you will get pulled over for it? If you are set on dumps you should run them back a while at least like to before the axle. I ran a 3 inch x pipe with bullets dumped before the axle for a few months and it was stupid loud, couldn't hear myself think inside the car, radio was worthless, having a conversation with any passenger was the two of us yelling at each other, and I must have been pretty damn lucky to not get a ticket for it. However the dumps sure did sound good and mean while I had them
^^^ You paint a pretty grim picture there buddy... Do you also have a cam? That could make a difference. I'm running almost a stock cam and its only crazy loud when I floor it. Although I have sound deadening/proofing material in there for the stereo so that probably helps a bit. I have no problems conversing or listening to music at a decent volume. Now, if I mash the gas and let the RPM climb high, then yeah, it gets ridiculous loud. "I'm" typically not holding a conversation or paying much attention to the radio in those situations.

--------------------------------------------

Anyway, here's some other discussions on the X-pipe/true dual stuff (photos and videos in there too).

LT's & Bullets
No Muffler?
True Dual folks come on in!
True Duals?

As far as gains, I'm not sure of x-pipe vs. H or Y....
Old 02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slick1851
My car has a open Y pipe right now and ITS LOUD!!!! Its stupied loud, and I smell like exhaust fumes when I get out of the car.

Its cool at first but you have to watch you speeding because it draws so much attention to you its not even funny.

Somone yelled at me because they thought I was speeding in my neighbor hood, in fact I was going the legal limit.
Thats so funny because i actually had security pull me over in my mom's neighborhood telling me they heard me speeding...i laughed in his face and he got all pissed...i argued with this guy for like 10 minutes on how it wasnt possible to tell how fast someone is going by the way their car sounds lol needless to say loud cars do get attention

Quick Reply: x pipe importance