LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SLP CAI Fitment on LT1 + Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation SLP CAI Fitment on LT1 + Warning

I just picked up a SLP CAI for my LT1 recently, and thought would be a simple install, but it doesn't quite fit as expected. The problem that I'm running into is that it moves the MAF sensor over toward the throttle-body by about ~1.5". On my car, this would put it in the same location where the A.I.R. Vacuum Solenoid is mounted. There is no mention of this in the instructions... So, my question to others with a similar setup is did you have to relocate this Vacuum Solenoid to get the tube to fit properly? Even if the soleniod was relocated, I'm sure the rubber intake elbow would have to be completely compressed to fit - Does that seem right?

Here's a picture so you can see what I'm talking about:

Other than the fitment, here's a serious WARNING about the kit that I got (#21014): First of all, I'd like to say that the kit comes very nicely packaged, is powder coated, and looks to be TIG welded by hand so you can tell where your $$$ is going. As I was inspecting the tube, I was absolutely shocked to find quite a bit of metal particles inside the tubes !! - Not exactly the thing you'd want to suck through your MAF and put directly into your engine. It almost looks as if they were left in there from the tube cutting process. Some of the metal was actually embedded so you couldn't just blow it out with compessed air. I had to take the time to literally sand the inside of the tubes. So, with that said, be sure to check & clean the inside the tubes before you put it on the car for the first time. I'm not sure what SLP's QC procedure is for this part, but this unit definitely slipped through. Hopefully someone from SLP will see this sinice I think they're sponsors here.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

It sounds like you bought the one for a 1993 Z28. They are longer because the 93 cars do not have a MAF. The 94-97 SLP cold air are about 1.5" shorter so the MAF can fit.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the first thing I thought also.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies... I'm not familiar with the 93's, but if they don't use the MAF it makes perfect sense that the tube is longer. I did verify that the part #21014 that I have is for 1994-97 and the 1993 is #21013. I suppose it could have been mislabeled from SLP, but it was brand-new in a sealed box when I got it. Does anyone have any pics or measurements that I could use for comparison? I think I'll give SLP a call tomorrow as well. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

unfinished and mis marked!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Launching!

Found a decent picture of a '94 with the SLP CAI on it... It seems that the MAF had to be moved over during installation on this car as well. Could it be that my A.I.R. Vacuum Solenoid is in the wrong location? I changed the coil a while back, and I thought I got everything back in the same spot, but maybe not. It looks like I may have to just remount the solenoid. Anyone else out there with an LT1 and SLP CAI experienced this?

Old 02-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Launching!

i have a 97 and the kit fit pretty well nothing had to be relocated or got in the way at all. the hardest part is trying to get a decent angle to tighten the clamps on the filters in that little area under the car. but overall it was not a very difficult install imo. good luck.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine makes removing/reattaching my trickflow elbow a pain in the ***.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

On my 94 that AIR solenoid is nowhere in sight, it could be under the coil but I cant see it or the connector. I got the V6 version of the CAI for free which looks even longer. My MAF is right next to the throttle cable cover. It came with an elbow that was cut on the TB side, the guy I got it from said it came from slp that way. I had to get a coupler for the CAI to MAF, and there was no connector for the AIR on the CAI tube so I used a cheapy breather filter for that. I can take a few pics when I get home if you want, but I think that your solenoid is in the wrong location or maybe it's different on a 95.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Launching!

Lazlo - If you don't mind taking a picture, I'd like to see how your setup looks. Thanks! I also called SLP today and explained the situation and they gave me some measurements to check and see if I have the '93/V6 version of the tube or if I truly have the proper one for a '95. I'll check it out tomorrow night and see how it measures up.

Last edited by jb442; 02-21-2007 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply: SLP CAI Fitment on LT1 + Warning