LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stall wall and overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall wall and overdrive

Well I finally got my 60 out on the highway and I couldn't get in OD. Does stall wall prevent shifting into OD? I assume this is the PCM's way of avoiding burning up the lockup clutch. I didn't have lockup in D either. I still have a stock trans tune for now. Just kinda scared that this transmission needs rebuilt and I haven't even run it yet.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I can't believe I have to do a TTT for this......
Old 03-04-2007, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

On my car the stall wall made it shift from 1st to third and then all I had was third gear. Everything went back to normal as soon as I turned the key off. When I cranked it back up, it shifted through all of the gears fine. Also the stall wall only happens when you leave hard (maybe with slicks) not just driving around.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree this does not sound like a stall wall issue. I would look for electrical/electronic issues.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I agree this does not sound like a stall wall issue. I would look for electrical/electronic issues.
What sort of electrical issues? There are no trans codes thrown. Trans is vacuum modulated, would this make a difference?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

My PCM is factory M6 but on the info screen it says "I think it's an A4." I thought it was modded correctly for operation or it wouldn't say that.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The vacuum modulator should not cause lockup issues.
I do not know the inside of a tranny all that well, for those questions I would call Dana and see what he thinks.

On the tuning was it a M6 base tune with the A4 tables tweaked or did you start with a fresh A4 base tune? The later would be my preference.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The vacuum modulator should not cause lockup issues.
I do not know the inside of a tranny all that well, for those questions I would call Dana and see what he thinks.

On the tuning was it a M6 base tune with the A4 tables tweaked or did you start with a fresh A4 base tune? The later would be my preference.
I did that conversion...
The manual tranny program (Should) work if selected to auto...However you need to go tweak the auto tables...Something is not right in the settings or your programmer is not really seeting it to auto.......

"96capricemgr" is right it would have been easier to start with a auto tranny program to make sure the program will work and to have all the tranny area set to stock first....You should be able to get a hold of the Programmer (LT1 edit maybe?) and get a freash copy of a auto car for that year...then work from there...(assuming you can still flash it with the new VIN)..and assuming the tranny it now screwed up...
Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I have LT1 Edit. I was just told LT1 Edit cannot do all these tricks. I personally do not know what to think, hence my presence here. I have an A4 file I can try. I have not gotten to play with this much. When I was finishing the car up, it made trips in and out of a garage and 1/2 mile to 1 miles stretches so I never knew I didn't have OD. I finally tried to get it home and got about 7-8 miles down the road before it blew a heater hose and got hauled the rest of the way home on a rollback. So that's the only action it's got and I wanted to get some advice before taking it out again. The file that's in there was a modded image for speedo correction with a 700r4. It says "I think it's an A4" but I can't say for sure what it's origin is.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

OK got it. I flashed the PCM with a different A4 image and that's got it. I now have OD and lockup.

Quick Reply: Stall wall and overdrive