LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP!!!!!2 jolts when i reach maz torq

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!!2 jolts when i reach maz torq

So when iam driving and i decide to pin it all the way, pedel to the floor type of ****, i hear and feel 2 large joilts, sometimes there small but only when i turn right and step on it a bit. So i don't think its my rear due to the fact that i have been driving it forever and nothing has fallen off and due to the fact that i don't hear and grinding or much lose of power. At first when it accured i thought it was a ball joint becuase i started when i first pulled 2 quick donuts and then pulled quick to the right and then after that i started to feel this. I also changed gears on my 4l60e from parked to 1st and everthing whent smoth so iam ruling out a tranny problem. So all i have left is a broken or lose motor mount or tranny mount, or maybe a u-joint is fucked but i don't know much about this for i just got into Trans Ams about 6 mounths ago and iam still learning. Any help is greatly apprecatied, Iam trying to fix it before june because iam leaving for MARINE boot and i would really like to sell it befoer i leave. Thanks.

I still have not lifeted the car due to wear i live to see if it truly is a motor mount. THANKS.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

do a brake stand without spinning the tires to torque the engine and see if you hear the noise, or you may even see it move up a bit if it is a broken mount.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Whats a brake stand..... i was gonna call my machanic so i can have him look at it but i just wanted to get some opinons first to make sure if it really was a motor mount.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

its when you hold the brake and lightly push the gas.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Launching!

ooo, ok ill try that. Did once and still got it but very lightly, bearly even felt it. thanks.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Launching!

ok i just tryed it and i opened my door and i could hear the rear springs decompress and i herd a wierd crunching like rubber bushings being rubed aginst metel and i the front wen't up. ill try it agine tommarow in the day time and have my buddy look at the hood while i do that, but it still pulls and dose not seem like there is any lose of power only a tiny bit or maybe i just got used to driving it like that... dunno but thanks.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by losaltos6
ok i just tryed it and i opened my door and i could hear the rear springs decompress and i herd a wierd crunching like rubber bushings being rubed aginst metel and i the front wen't up. ill try it agine tommarow in the day time and have my buddy look at the hood while i do that, but it still pulls and dose not seem like there is any lose of power only a tiny bit or maybe i just got used to driving it like that... dunno but thanks.
Make sure your buddy stands to the left or rihgt of the car and not in front of it
if its a broken tranny mount the engine will move forward
if its a broken motor mount itl'l move left or right. If you suspect tranny mount, jack up the back end pout it on jack stands then put a jack under the tranny tail shaft (with a block of wood to protect) and jack slowly while watching your mount, if the mounts gone then youl'l see the tranny just lift right up off the k-member where the mount is and the mount will seperate into two, its a 30 min job to change a tranny mount if you know what you're doing, I did it on my bird in 30 mins and it was the first tranny mount I ever did. good luck.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Launching!

o thanks alot man, ill do that tommarow since its late hear but thanks a ton, ive had to drive it for so long like that and really diden't have the time or monmey to take it to machanic place and get it looked at and then probaly get riped off but thanks. i have the chilton book fo it so ill do some reading on everthing too just to make sure i don't **** up anything while iam doing this, THANKS again