LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Guys, need an opinion here...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guys, need an opinion here...

I took my intake manifold off and replaced the gaskets and put new sealant in, wrapped the egr pipe in header wrap and did a tb bypass. When I put the gaskets in, i put sealant around the ports. Then I found this :

"Important Note: When I bought the gaskets, the parts guy told me this was a "dry" gasket and you don't have to put anything on it. Unfortunately against my better judgment, I believed him.... and wound up doing this fix a second time. There is a bead that goes around all the ports that's in the gasket, but that will not hold. Remember that the aluminum manifold "moves" around a little due to warming up and cooling down. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking this will hold. I've seen this seeping manifold/intake port leak a dozen times. This is different then the external leak this article addresses. A month or so later I found myself doing this again as it was leaking oil internally between the ports. This may not be so bad on a normally aspirated car, but the supercharger adds some additional stresses on mine. This may be why mine started leaking so quickly. "

Am I screwed and do I have to redo this because I didnt put sealant all along the bottom of the gasket like it said ?

oh and when should I retorque the bolts?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On the intake I only ever use silicon on the end gaps smearing just enough up onto the gasket to seal it to the endgap. None of the LT1 gaskets I have bought have been the paper ones with the silicon ring though.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

oh, alright.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I sealed it around the Ports with the 02 safe Silicone on the LT1 that I built after I removed the Intake on the old one, and found it was sucking Oil into the Cylinders.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, thats what i did. i used o2 safe sealant too.

the gaskets and manifold were all caked in oil ****. so thats my guess why it didnt feel as peppy as it should have ( and does now)
Old 05-22-2007, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I am trying to figure out a way to do the PCV on my new Engine to where I don't have to run any Oil Lines to the Throttle Body..the last thing I want it to suck in it hot Oil Vapors.

Quick Reply: Guys, need an opinion here...