LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

German Castrol @ AutoZone WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:05 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default German Castrol @ AutoZone WTF?

Running low on oil, I strolled into a local AutoZone only to find not one quart of QC 0W-30. The guy did an inventory search and said that they weren't going to stock it anymore. Now where am I gonna get my GC?? Is this just here in the NY area or is this elswhere also?

DAMMIT!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try a bmw or vw dealer . thats where i would look first
Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

i cant find it anywhere around here
Old 05-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Banned

they have slowly started doing that everywhere.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought most places were stopping their stock of that?

I still haven't read a definitive reason as to why the 0w-30 is so good of a weight :\
Old 05-22-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula350
I thought most places were stopping their stock of that?

I still haven't read a definitive reason as to why the 0w-30 is so good of a weight :\

weight really has nothing to do with it. It's the formulation behind the oil. It's a true synthetic oil, unlike the other castrol weights. It's a nice thick oil. it's viscosity is 12.2 cst @100C. Almost close to a 40w oil. It's shear stable. It will not loose viscosity over time. It produces great UOAs, and is reasonably priced.

Paul, unfortunately for some reason many AZs here in the US have GC on sell through. Mainly because it doens't make up a huge percentage of sell. it's definately not discontinued. A few guys have found M07 batch oil (2007). it's abundant in Canada though. Heck they sell it at Wal-Mart up there, and a couple other places. Im tempted to find the castrol Local distributor and try to buy directly from them. IIRC audi dealer should stock it.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well damn, shame they're $5/q or I'd think about switching over. Unless that's the stuff you really can run 15k miles w/o worrying (changing filters every 3K still).
Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Well damn, shame they're $5/q or I'd think about switching over. Unless that's the stuff you really can run 15k miles w/o worrying (changing filters every 3K still).
actually not on sale its 6.19 a quart. It's on sale this month for 4.xx when you buy 5 quarts and a bosch oil filter. OCI is greatly dependent on vehicle. Not sure if you could go 15k on it, but it might be possible. Not need to change the oil filter every 3k. I dont think there is a general rule on changing oil filters per so many miles. Ideally you prolly could go 10k on a good oil filter assuming your engine isn't all sludged up. My gf goes 6,000 miles on her OCI. same filter. Great results on the UOA
Old 05-23-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I figure to push 15K, it wouldn't hurt to change the filter every 3K. The new Cummins says you can go 15K in the Dodge trucks, and the new silly Castrol Syntec commercials are claiming 15K as well.

You seem to be quite an oil expert, so would you care to dispel a myth? Is switching to synthetic on a higher mileage motor not wise due to synthetic oil molecules being smaller and more susceptible to leaking through old seals and gaskets?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Well I figure to push 15K, it wouldn't hurt to change the filter every 3K. The new Cummins says you can go 15K in the Dodge trucks, and the new silly Castrol Syntec commercials are claiming 15K as well.

You seem to be quite an oil expert, so would you care to dispel a myth? Is switching to synthetic on a higher mileage motor not wise due to synthetic oil molecules being smaller and more susceptible to leaking through old seals and gaskets?

the only way to tell would be to do a used oil analysis (UOA) and check the insoluble(sp) levels. That usually indicates if the filter is being overcome by more than it can handle.

Im not expert at all. The reason a synthetic oil will "cause" leaks is because its removing a "false" seal. A seal may be compromised before the switch but it may not be made aware until the synthetic oil starts cleaning the build up off it.

Last edited by buffman; 05-23-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by buffman
Im not expert at all. The reason a synthetic oil will "cause" leaks is because its removing a "false" seal. A seal may be compromised before the switch but it may not be made aware until the synthetic oil starts cleaning the build up off it.
Agreed. I'm no "expert" either, but that is what I believe to be the case, from reading quite a bit on www.bobistheoilguy.com.

Buffman, hey it's VIN Guy from that other forum.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by buffman
the only way to tell would be to do a used oil analysis (UOA) and check the insoluble(sp) levels. That usually indicates if the filter is being overcome by more than it can handle.

Yeah I think if you've already got a leak, the conventional oils are sludging up and making a seal. Synthetics won't do that and will leak on through so synthetics don't cause leaks. I use the extended performance M1 oil in my 396. Course it never sees that much mileage so it gets changed yearly. However I use the EP oils in my sister's and mom's vehicles all the way to 15K. They drive so much that it just makes sense. M1 guarantees it's good for that long so I say you could push it past 15K but I always change it there. I use Amsoil's Euro spec oil in my VW and change it at 10K as specified by the manual. That VW spec oil can be semi synthetic and meet the spec and they were calling for 10K on OCI. I'm not worried though cuz the Amsoil is 100% synthetic.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

OK guys, theres a zillion threads about oil and GC in paticular. Back to the topic: Where are we gonna buy the stuff?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Well it was already mentioned that any Castrol dist. and VW/Audi dealerships. I think the oil is somewhat popular with the gas and diesel engines from VAG.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought the last quarts at my closest Autozone. Both and

Quick Reply: German Castrol @ AutoZone WTF?