LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What kind of turbo set ups are you lt1 guys running???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of turbo set ups are you lt1 guys running???

I'm thinking about going this route. As bad as it sounds i want something fairly cheap.

i know at 1st thought that sounds retarded but hear me out. I know alot of people make hybrid systems where they dont necessarly use a typical turbo.

i have heard of people using diesel turbos with their custom set ups.

Im not interested in spending 5k on a run of the mill set up, rather id like to piece togethr something stout for about 7-8psi or so and very cost effective
Old 05-24-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo and cheap in the same breath......hmmm, that's a contradiction in terms.

Go ahead and buy a Procharger and be done, for 5-10lbs of boost about 3 grand new.

David
Old 05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

i think it can be done cheaper than that though.

i dont mean cheap cheap, i just mean not 5000 bucks!

Can a 383 400rwhp turn a efficently 88mm turbo or no??
Old 05-24-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not many people do 'custom' DIY setups to LT1 cars. Do a search over in the FI section for Tiago, he's one of the few thats done custom setups on these cars...

As for some suggestions, People have used stock exhaust manifolds swapped from side to side on the engine. This allows them to be plumbed together at the front of the engine. If you route this stuff correctly you can fit the turbo's down-pipe above the k-member still.

As for the turbo, your best bet would be an appropriately sized unit bought used with a known history. That way cost is relatively low and you at least have a decent chance of getting a good turbo.

People have pulled off cheap DIY setups, they spend months and months looking for the cheapest deal on the parts they need.

The procharger would still be the most cost effective way of getting the boost. I hear Exotic Performance Plus gets some really good prices to LS1tech members.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

yeah but im flat out not looking to spend that much if i cant piece together a decent turbo set up for a little over 1k, ill save the money and just buy a dry shot with all the nice accessories.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

N20 - Proven to be the biggest bang for your buck, initially.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

yeah i wonder how much it would be in the long run considering i have 4" mufflex, svo 30's and slp cai that i could sell to make up some cash, and then if i decide the easiest way to run the set up is via the oem manifolds then i can get those dirt cheap and sell my hooker longer tubes and y pipe.

so with all that money im thinking the out of pocket cost after that money is used would be around what id pay for a nitrous kit.

i have never done any fabricating but if reversing the manifolds and installing the cross over to the turbo isnt a huge project i think i can do it.

i dont want to lose my ac so its essential that i am able to work around all my stock luxuries. and in the end not paying 40 bucks a bottle will save me.

i figure...

500 for a turbo
200 for a boost controller, unless those 5 dollar manual ones on ebay are good enough
200 for SVO's.
then the blow off valve and waste gate along with misc. plumbing which wont be much for an inside the engine bay set up....
the tr6's i would need

i think it can be done for pretty cheap, considering what i have to sell
Old 05-24-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 Camaro Z28
yeah but im flat out not looking to spend that much if i cant piece together a decent turbo set up for a little over 1k, ill save the money and just buy a dry shot with all the nice accessories.
the most economic route, would be with a holset diesel turbo
they are found on 5.9 cummins motors, the turbo does not care if its installed ina lt1 or a v6 or diesel, it just spools when the exhaust hits the turbine.
i have used this type of turbo for low boost 350 scb's and lt1 motors,
the holset h1e and hxe will make about 7-9 psi on a stock lt1
perhaps the most economic route, would be with a remote mount system,
u could reuse most of your existing exhaust system, u would need a scavenge oil pump, and the intake plumbing, u can use aluminized steel,used for exhaust which is rather inexpensive.
a fmu plumbed in your return line along with some svo 30# injectors
and a walbro 255lph fuel pump. a decent fresh opti like msd's unit along with a msd coil and wires. u can do for about 1k$ if u take the time to hunt down
the parts and do all the work yourself, even though most small local exhaust shops can weld evrything up for a reasonable price. also fmic are cheap from ebay, even a moderate size one will be sufficient for a 550 hp lt1
Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

you also have to figure in the cost of a good tune
Old 05-24-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-93...spagenameZWDVW

There you go custom set up not only do you get one turbo there is 2

keep the 2nd one for a spare
Old 05-25-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by letsrun97z
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-93...spagenameZWDVW

There you go custom set up not only do you get one turbo there is 2

keep the 2nd one for a spare
that kit has no manifolds.

As for the rest of the thread. You are not building any turbo setup for under a grand. You can't even put a bigger turbo on a stock turboed car for a grand. I fully expect to have between 2-3k in my setup running a smaller turbo and more budget minded parts.

Dont forget the stock LT1 ECU can't correctly read boost and will never be tuned 100% correctly.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

BOV $110 for a knockoff
wastegate $150 for a knockoff
tubing $200-300
T4 flange - $15
Silicone connectors + T-bolt clamps - $100
Vband flange/clamp for DP - $40
Turbo - MP T70 $550
Oil feed/drain line/fittings - $100
Oil return pump - $150
dynotune - $400
colder plugs - $20-25
42# injectors $275 used
catch can - $50
welding gas, wire, grinding wheel, cutoff wheel, sawzall blades, etc. - $100

Optional
WB O2 sensor - $275
intercooler -$250
alky injection $350

I have made several front mount kits, there is alot that goes into making the kits.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

yeah i wonder how much it would be in the long run considering i have 4" mufflex, svo 30's and slp cai that i could sell to make up some cash, and then if i decide the easiest way to run the set up is via the oem manifolds then i can get those dirt cheap and sell my hooker longer tubes and y pipe.

so with all that money im thinking the out of pocket cost after that money is used would be around what id pay for a nitrous kit.

i have never done any fabricating but if reversing the manifolds and installing the cross over to the turbo isnt a huge project i think i can do it.

i dont want to lose my ac so its essential that i am able to work around all my stock luxuries. and in the end not paying 40 bucks a bottle will save me.

i figure...

500 for a turbo
200 for a boost controller, unless those 5 dollar manual ones on ebay are good enough
200 for SVO's.
then the blow off valve and waste gate along with misc. plumbing which wont be much for an inside the engine bay set up....
the tr6's i would need

i think it can be done for pretty cheap, considering what i have to sell

With a reverse manifold front mount kit I dont see you retaining the AC.

If thats all it took for a turbo build there would be alot more of them around. You're leaving out all the costs that can really nickle and dime you and add up to big money. Oil fittings for the turbo, Flanges, silicone, clamps, Gauges, Fittings, Tuning, Plugs and wires, Maybe new in-tank fuel pump, all the tubing you'll need, heat shielding or wrap for the hot side parts. Then you have to think about intercooling, all the extra tubing and silicone and clamps etc that takes. Or maybe meth injection and all the bells and whistles associated with that.

Dont get me wrong, im not trying to be a downer, I just think your money goal for a turbo kit is a little unrealistic.

-Josh
Old 05-25-2007, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

here is what in my head. Running a rear mount t70 off my hooker long tubes and ypipe.

if i can get a good enough deal on a turbo and someone can show me how to correctly mount it off my ypipe (im assuming buy the correct flange and weld it on...)

then hook up my turbo (preferably as close to the front as possible, but if it has to be under the gas tank then thats fine.

then look as the STS cold piping ideas as well as spend some time under the car and figure out how to return to the intake elbow.

run my oil lines and such and pick up a waste gate and blow off valve.

swap the plugs to t6's

sell my svo 30's since i was advised id need atleast 42#.

then hook up my GEN 6 DFI (sorta crappy i know) and tweak it as much as i can with that.

keep in mind im just looking to run a solid 7ish lbs of boost for the time being.

if possible i dont even need a fancy boost controller. something like the ebay onces for like 10 bucks that are just a manual dial along with a boost gauge would be fine for me.

the main thing i might sure if u guys understand is that i dont want to run in the engine bay, i was a rear mount kit. i know everyone hates them but my car isnt stock by any means so even if cutting a few corners and not getting the optimal boost i could be getting from a front mount, intercooler set up....without the turbo i still have a dyno proven 400hp.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont know how much it will cost but when i do something custom i always add $1000 on to what i expect to pay because there are ALWAYS little nickel and dime things and they add up qiuck.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a single largeframe 91mil turbo and my buddy has twin 72mill's both set-up are custom Lt1 kits
Old 05-25-2007, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

im looking to run a t70, i can get the turbo, 38mm waste gate and a t3 flange to mount it all up for 500 bucks. So i think im really ahead of the game with that itself.

the only issue holding me up really is the whole long tubes debate. i have a thread in teh fi section about it.

other wise 500 for what i mentioned, a 150 dollar blow off valve, 200 dollars worth of pipe and other random **** and i think ill park it right around 1300 hundo when its all said and done but we will see.

i havnt committed to anything yet so its all good.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

im looking to run a t70, i can get the turbo, 38mm waste gate and a t3 flange to mount it all up for 500 bucks. So i think im really ahead of the game with that itself.

the only issue holding me up really is the whole long tubes debate. i have a thread in teh fi section about it.

other wise 500 for what i mentioned, a 150 dollar blow off valve, 200 dollars worth of pipe and other random **** and i think ill park it right around 1300 hundo when its all said and done but we will see.

i havnt committed to anything yet so its all good.
You need to rethink the T3 housing...
Old 05-25-2007, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NemeSS
the most economic route, would be with a holset diesel turbo
they are found on 5.9 cummins motors, the turbo does not care if its installed ina lt1 or a v6 or diesel, it just spools when the exhaust hits the turbine.
i have used this type of turbo for low boost 350 scb's and lt1 motors,
the holset h1e and hxe will make about 7-9 psi on a stock lt1
perhaps the most economic route, would be with a remote mount system,
u could reuse most of your existing exhaust system, u would need a scavenge oil pump, and the intake plumbing, u can use aluminized steel,used for exhaust which is rather inexpensive.
a fmu plumbed in your return line along with some svo 30# injectors
and a walbro 255lph fuel pump. a decent fresh opti like msd's unit along with a msd coil and wires. u can do for about 1k$ if u take the time to hunt down
the parts and do all the work yourself, even though most small local exhaust shops can weld evrything up for a reasonable price. also fmic are cheap from ebay, even a moderate size one will be sufficient for a 550 hp lt1
i looked at that turbo and it looks like it might be kinda large to mount like a rear mount kit would..

with that said, since that turbo is made for pushing diesels would i have an issue with running long tubes and 4" exhaust back up over the axle then mounting the turbo??

or will i run into the typical header/low pack pressure problems??

and what kinda of parts would i need for something like that, as far as blow off valves, and waste gate compatibility goes..
Old 05-26-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

IM running an OFI lt1 kit but im selling it and my car now

Quick Reply: What kind of turbo set ups are you lt1 guys running???