LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is the LT1 dipstick interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the LT1 dipstick interchangeable?

I need a new dipstick, mine is acutally broken and leaks. Do I need an "LT1" dipstick or what do i ask for?

thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I had the same problem. The regular SBC Oil Pan is the same, don't see why the Dip Stick wouldn't be..
Old 06-09-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

they arent the same, the LT1 dipstick is made of a special metal from the fires of Mordor. haha

Are you talking about the dipstick tube or the actual dipstick?

I am pretty sure they are the same, but for a quick fix if its the tube, buy a short length of rubber hose and two clamps and put it over the hole or crack and it should seal it for a while. Thats what I did to by little brothers truck, he accidentally arced the starter and it burned a hole in the dipstick tube.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
they arent the same, the LT1 dipstick is made of a special metal from the fires of Mordor. haha

Are you talking about the dipstick tube or the actual dipstick?

I am pretty sure they are the same, but for a quick fix if its the tube, buy a short length of rubber hose and two clamps and put it over the hole or crack and it should seal it for a while. Thats what I did to by little brothers truck, he accidentally arced the starter and it burned a hole in the dipstick tube.
Yeah, the tube itself. There is a tab that is spot welded on the side that bolts to the block and that's broken off, and i tried the rubber tube method but it's really close to the BBK headers and fried off. Not to mention, it slips in and out of the block VERY easily, not sealing well.

My engine is like a reverse sponge, leaks everywhere. Can't seem to kill it though....
Old 06-10-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

I broke the T handle on my dipstick while installing headers. I tried a couple of sbc dipsticks that I had easy access to, and neither one was the correct length.

Once after breaking the dipsitck tube on an gen 1 sbc, I replaced it with a chrome universal dipstick that I found at autozone.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I just bought a Lokar dipstick for my car last week on ebay. Got it for like 55 shipped to my door. Its designed for an 80+ sbc with the dipstick on the passenger side of the block.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I just bought a Lokar dipstick for my car last week on ebay. Got it for like 55 shipped to my door. Its designed for an 80+ sbc with the dipstick on the passenger side of the block.
Howzit work? Right length?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth
Howzit work? Right length?
The engine is still on the stand but from the research i did on cz28.com it is the correct size. Only downside is that its very short in that the top of the handle is even with the valvecovers. The length puts it right at the header primary but should be ok as long as you are careful.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

if you have an aftermarket block that is 4 bolt main, you will need an LT4 corvette dipstick, but if it is just a stock block still, you will be fine with an LT1 dipstick
Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put a lokar on mine to, I like it, only problem is its gets really hot, you cant check the oil right after you ran it with out using a rag to grab it.

Quick Reply: Is the LT1 dipstick interchangeable?