LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil pump drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump drive problem

I lost oil pressure about a week ago in my 94 Z28 while driving to a frinds house. I shut it down as soon as it lost pressure so hopefully not too much damage was done.
My engine was rebuilt last year ad has less than 5000 miles on it but it is mostly a track (road racing) only car. I pulled the oil pump drive gear out to find that it had teeth ground off one side of it. I reused the stock GM gear when rebuilding the engine which might have been my problem. I did change the cam to the GM hot cam but I did not think that not changing it would be a problem. So now Im not sure what I should do at this point. Should I flush the engine out and install a new gear? The cam gear looks ok. Or should I pull it back out and go through it Agin.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Made a post a few month back with some pic's of the broken oil pump drive gear out of my 355.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:25 AM

Thats a lot of metal going through the motor, your bearings could be hurt maybe the crank as well, I would pull it down to be sure.

Also when you have metal in the oil pan it can get on the cylinder walls from the oil splash.
Once it's on the cylinder walls it can get trapped between the pistons and the cylinder wall and put deep grooves in the cylinder walls and pistons. This will compromise the ring seal down the road.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you need to pull this motor down and have a very close look at it.

Originally Posted by solo94z28
I lost oil pressure about a week ago in my 94 Z28 while driving to a frinds house. I shut it down as soon as it lost pressure so hopefully not too much damage was done.
My engine was rebuilt last year ad has less than 5000 miles on it but it is mostly a track (road racing) only car. I pulled the oil pump drive gear out to find that it had teeth ground off one side of it. I reused the stock GM gear when rebuilding the engine which might have been my problem. I did change the cam to the GM hot cam but I did not think that not changing it would be a problem. So now Im not sure what I should do at this point. Should I flush the engine out and install a new gear? The cam gear looks ok. Or should I pull it back out and go through it Agin.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

How does that happen?!

Quick Reply: Oil pump drive problem