LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can't get valve cover off

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Can't get valve cover off

The other day I wanted to check out what I think is some valvetrain noise on the passenger side of my 96 Z. So I took off the alternator and anything that would interfere with taking off the valve cover. I can pull the valve cover up about an inch or so and then it stops, it seems like something from the inside is preventing it from coming all the way off. Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by loneranger360
The other day I wanted to check out what I think is some valvetrain noise on the passenger side of my 96 Z. So I took off the alternator and anything that would interfere with taking off the valve cover. I can pull the valve cover up about an inch or so and then it stops, it seems like something from the inside is preventing it from coming all the way off. Am I doing something wrong here?
Check the the vent line bolted on the pass side, it sometimes rides just close enough to the edge of the VCover to make it hard to come up, usually around the front. If that's not it, it's just the rockers hanging up somewhere on the VCover supports inside, just takes some manuevering, it is a PIA sometimes.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

make sure an alternator bracket isnt catching it.

usually you have to pull up then towards the firewall then pull off.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

agreed with above. Sometimes it is better to rock the cover toward the center of the engine first then come up.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, there shouldn't be anything inside holding it down unless you know something I don't. Make sure everything is off of it, and then give it a good tug.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Teching In

I forgot to update this thread with the reason why I couldn't get the valve cover off. It was because a rocker arm failed and it was getting caught on the valve cover support when trying to take it off. A new rocker arm and a pushrod and it's running great again.

Quick Reply: Can't get valve cover off