LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power Steering overheating at open track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering overheating at open track?

I've been looking into open tracking my 97 SS and I've been hearing that the power steering on these cars tends to overheat while opentracking. Has anyone encountered this or know someone who did. I'm trying to find a solution in addition to better power steering fluid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

This is a very common problem with the LT1s. The first thing to do is put in sythetic fluid which will take higher temps. Next there are a few options. The first and easiest is an underdrive pulley. It will slow down the ps pump some and this reduces the heat put into the fluid. I ran this way for many years and track events and it worked fine most of the time, but there were a few times I still got some fluid boil. Next would be to put in a cooler. People have used the LS1 ps cooler or just a small plate style. But the real and total fix, is a Turnone ps pump. It has been designed to reduce the fluid temp. I just put one on my car since I got rid of the underdrive pulley when I put a fluid damper on the engine. I have not tried it out yet, but this is a proven piece with all the LT1 road racers.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Power Steering overheating at open track?