LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ok guys please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok guys please help!

i had my 94 lt1 a4 in the trans shop to get a leak fixed and trans flushed.. well the leak is both of the cooling lines on passenger size of the trans.. there both leaking but they dont leak until the car is at normal temp and driven.. then they leak fluid down onto my exhaust an it smokes like a mad man. well i cant get any kinda wrench or anything up there to take them off or tighten them.. is there a secret to it? wat do i use? how do i get them off!!
Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

try a stubby wrench
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 229 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Raise the Car up..get something to support the Tranny to where you can lower/raise it, unbolt the Cross Member, lower it and tighten them Lines with a 1/2" Wrench.

I would bring it back to the Shop and tell them to fix it..they had to take them off to properly flush it.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

tried it brother.. i dropped it as low as it would go and i still couldnt get on the damn things.. tried angled wrenches.. stubby wrenchs you name it. i want to take it back but the guys a dip ****. he took 6 weeks to put a clutch in my ls1. and a week to do this.. hes really unreliable. id rather fix it my self.. the lines were leaking before i took it in. thats why i took it. an he said there wasnt a leak. it doesnt leak till you drive it i told him an get it warm.. i really dont wanna have to drop the trans completely to do this.. are there O rings on those fittings that possibly couldve went bad? it was sittin for 2 years/
Old 07-31-2007, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 229 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

No, they are regular brass threaded fittings..looks like you will be having fun with it.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JTSLP559
tried it brother.. i dropped it as low as it would go and i still couldnt get on the damn things.. tried angled wrenches.. stubby wrenchs you name it. i want to take it back but the guys a dip ****. he took 6 weeks to put a clutch in my ls1. and a week to do this.. hes really unreliable. id rather fix it my self.. the lines were leaking before i took it in. thats why i took it. an he said there wasnt a leak. it doesnt leak till you drive it i told him an get it warm.. i really dont wanna have to drop the trans completely to do this.. are there O rings on those fittings that possibly couldve went bad? it was sittin for 2 years/
I would tell the guy he can either pay another shop to fix it, or you pay a more reliable shop to fix it and then take him to court, but you also have to give him the option to fix it, i would let him do it and if it takes more than a day or 2 take your car back and then have someone else fix it.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

he told me to call him if anything happens.. but he takes forever and im leaving for oregon.. he will have my car for a week again so i just want to fix it by my self so i know its right.. i dont trust people anymore. soo theres no kind of wrench i can use? lol i cant get a regular snapon 1/2 on it.. i mean at a wierd angle but if i tryed to turn them it would snap. an theres no room to turn the wrench . to much crap in the way..
Old 07-31-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah it's a real PITA. Something you might try but I don't recommend.......... I used a 700r4 for a while and instead of buying hard line and fittings, I bought some of those short flared lines with the nuts already on them. I mean like 3" at the most. They were super easy to install, I just used a deep socket with a universal. Then I put hose on them and worked them into the system with hose clamps. However, I don't know what your exhaust is and on top of that, that still does not answer the question of getting a wrench on what you've got. I have done some tightening on mine in the car with the stubby wrenches. I also had the car on a lift so that helps some.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

well i took it back to him. the fittings were in fact tight. an the fluid is coming out of where the steel line goes into the fitting.. so im guessing cracked flares? he said he cant do it for another week. so idk what im going to do.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JTSLP559
well i took it back to him. the fittings were in fact tight. an the fluid is coming out of where the steel line goes into the fitting.. so im guessing cracked flares? he said he cant do it for another week. so idk what im going to do.
Either that or the flare is not seated flush inside the fitting.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

yea im hopeing its not seating.. so im gonna get a crows foot and a swivel socket an go at it
Old 07-31-2007, 10:43 PM

Just take all the crap out of the way and you'll reach it just fine. Whatever it is don't worry, you wanna know how to do it yourself? Well there's only one way to learn. JUST DO IT!!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

yea i know im going to in the morning.

Quick Reply: ok guys please help!