LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opti Question

How do i make sure the opti goes on correctly to keep the right timing order? I took it to the motor guy with it on and i expected it to come back like that but it didnt....and i would think that the *** that comes out of the block (sorry dont know the term lol) would change position during a rebuild and throw timing off if the opti is just bolted back on?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked w/ my Alldata online and it specifies to mark the location of your rotor before removal. The newer ones are idiot proof since it has a pin to stab. Yours has splines so it could go any way. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what im worried about...there wasnt a mark...lol
Old 10-14-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im almost positive if you look on the back it will have a mark for 6 and 1 tdc. then install it on 6 or 1. i dont remember exactly but i know i did something like that when i did my h/c
Old 10-14-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

what you have to do is this. in the back of the opti is a recessed female splined area. there is a splined shaft that connects between the opti and the cam. what you have to do is look at the shaft. it is splined larger at one spot. that spot is what indexes the opti.

you need to insert the splines correctly into the block and take a paint pen and mark the top of the shaft. that will give you a reference spot for the block.

after the paint dries remove the shaft from the block. then insert the other end into the opti correctly (large spline) and orient the painted line to vertical with the opti in the installled position.

this will give you a very close position for the opti to be installed.

install the opti and run it before installing the water pump for a few seconds to make sure it works.