LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Magnaflow on stock manifolds/y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnaflow on stock manifolds/y pipe?

I'm possibly going to be buying a magnaflow muffler/ tips for my '93 Z28 (just muffler/tips, not I pipe too), but I would like to know how it sounds compared to the stock muffler first. I thought there was a car around here that had the magnaflow on it (magnaflow tips for some reason o_O), but I just looked under it and I'm pretty sure it has a Flowmaster muffler, so I haven't actually heard it... I liked the sound of the flowmaster that this guy has though. How would the magnaflow sound compared to the stock catback and the flowmaster? In terms of deepness and loudness and stuff like that? I'm not looking for performance gains here since this is just my DD, but I would like it to sound deep and rumble still...

Are LT1's stock normally quite a bit louder than LS1s? My '93 is a lot louder than my '00 WS6 was stock, but I don't know if that is normal or not.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Magnaflow is going to pretty quiet down low, real loud up top, and just normal driving it will sound nice, not too loud and not too quiet, has a nice throaty sound in my opinion, some peole like them and some don't...sould listen to the sound clip on Magnaflows website.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

blowmaster vs. magnajunk
Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
The Magnaflow is going to pretty quiet down low, real loud up top, and just normal driving it will sound nice, not too loud and not too quiet, has a nice throaty sound in my opinion, some peole like them and some don't...sould listen to the sound clip on Magnaflows website.
If it's any louder than the stock muffler down low and cruising it will still have a pretty nice rumble to it. I'm really surprised how loud it is for stock. It's nothing amazing or anything, but definitely louder than my WS6 was. If I remember right it was almost silent. I've heard other stock ls1 trans ams and z28s driving around here too and they are almost silent too. Somebody else drove my car straight away from me the other day and it actually sounded really good. I just need to get an exhaust leak by the cat fixed and it will be really good. So do you think that it would be worth $80 for the muffler and tips? Keep in mind it isn't performance I'm really looking for, just a bit better sound driving around. I'm also a college student with no money for stuff, so something cheap sounds good to me .

Also, he said the muffler would fit right on the end of the stock I pipe (it's an LT1 magnaflow muffler if it makes any difference), is that right? I don't want to get it just to find out it doesn't actually fit...

Edit: I forgot to say, the clip on magnaflow's website is of the ls1 camaro for some reason, even if you click the 93-97 catback...

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
blowmaster vs. magnajunk
lol, that helps a lot....

Last edited by Speedmonster185; 10-18-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love how my SLP Dual-Dual sounds on all stock exhaust. I think the Magnaflow is a little raspier than the SLP is on a stock system, but I don't remember for sure. Mine isn't raspy at all, and I really like how it sounds.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't think it would be raspy at all with the cat still in there, right?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a sound clip of my sister lt1 with just a magnaflow muffler. Ill post it up when I get home. I like the way it sounds.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

magnaflow sounds good i was goin to get a deal on one but it was sold so i got borla . and yes lt1s sound louder than ls1s nothing wrong there.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Nope, nothing wrong there

Quick Reply: Magnaflow on stock manifolds/y pipe?