LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Does my new engine need to be taken apart and rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does my new engine need to be taken apart and rebuilt?

My new stroker engine has less than a thousand miles on it, but the rocker arms and pushrods have failed twice, resulting in a large amount of metal shavings deposited throughout the motor.

The valvetrain is still very noisy, too noisy for a solid roller. I've changed the oil and taken dry disposable rags to clean the valve train area etc, and the new oil still has numerous metal shaving in it.

Just wondering what the majority opinion is here.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:56 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Bad deal. The problem is going to be how lucky u are. If you plug something, or tear up a bearing, you are going to get a major problem. Might be worth the cost of a gasket set & a lot of flushing. I wouldn't risk all that metal in something I paid for. Sounds like you are having a major top end oiling issue??

Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

Bad deal. The problem is going to be how lucky u are. If you plug something, or tear up a bearing, you are going to get a major problem. Might be worth the cost of a gasket set & a lot of flushing. I wouldn't risk all that metal in something I paid for. Sounds like you are having a major top end oiling issue??

It will help if you read the first post in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/811897-valve-train-has-broken-apart-twice-less-than-800-miles.html

Like I said, the engine valvetrain is really noisy and the engine doesn't sound as good as it used to.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have any debris in the oil you the best thing to do would be to tear it down and inspect your crank, cam, all your bearings, bores, clean all parts, etc. You should also remove all your oil galley plugs and run brushes through them and wash the block with varasol or purple power and a pressure washer, then with soap and water. Then replace what is necessary, get the crank polished if it hasn't been damaged enough to be turned, and put it back together.

If you have metal debris running through your oil, the more that engine runs the more it will tear itself apart.

Quick Reply: Does my new engine need to be taken apart and rebuilt?