LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Underdrive question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Underdrive question

I have the March underdrive set, (crank and alt) and well for the time being I have the Crank pully on but the norm alt pully....anyone using just the Crank pully without any problems???? the reason the alt pully isn't istalled yet is do to the fact that I don't have an impact and doing it by hand wasn't cuttin it, so I was going to head over to a friends house to use his impact..
Old 01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a UD pully and my car starts hard b/c when you are idiling the battery is not getting fully charged b/c with the UD pully and the same size alt. pully the alt is not charging as fast b/c of the smaller pully. When you drive thought it is ok, and wot it is fine, but at idle it drops down to like 10ish-11ish b/c of not haveing the alt. pully on. I might have to buy the alt. pully. Hope this helps
Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, found out the same thing on my way to my buddys shop, but now i have both pullys on and it's doing fine..
Old 01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are these pulleys worth while doing or whould the money be better saved up to go towards heads and cam a month earlier than than if I did the pulleys?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only think i've noticed in my whole 30 min of driving with them is that the car gets up in the RPMs quicker...im sure someone else can help you more than I could
Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're running an aftermarket soundsystem,ie big amps,subwoofers, those underdrive pulleys are going help drain your battery.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

I happen to like the UD Pulley kit alot. I've had it on for about 6 months now. And when I took it off last week. Because my battery kept dying and I thought it had something to do with it- Turned out the battery would take a **** under a load....I was dissapointed b/c you could tell a difference in power. The engine did not rev as easy and lost a couple HP. It's nothing dramatic but it helped my car as much as the Aluminum LS1 Driveshaft did. But I broke the DS on the interstate due to some bad UV Joints. Anyways I'd spend the $100.00 on 1 anytime just b/c HP is HP. & I want it all But yeah I'm putting mine back on next week. Now I have a new Battery. Just be sure to KEEP the UD crank and OD Alt. pulley on together. That way you won't have any charging issues. If you still do for some reason you may have to have your Idle turned up 100-150 RPM's more. Thats another thing I did to help keep it charging correctly....

Quick Reply: Underdrive question