LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Really Really Rich

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Really Rich

ok i have the car in my sig i got a mail order tune from tbi chips.....ran really rich and wouldnt idle so i sent it back and when i got it it idled after i messed with the screw and cleaned my idle air control motor...still runs relly rich like enough to burn the hell out your eyes.....ive replaced my plugs wires all that everytime i pull a plug i got them covered in gas........anyone can help me please do $5 to whoever fixes it lol
Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 93blacktransam
ok i have the car in my sig i got a mail order tune from tbi chips.....ran really rich and wouldnt idle so i sent it back and when i got it it idled after i messed with the screw and cleaned my idle air control motor...still runs relly rich like enough to burn the hell out your eyes.....ive replaced my plugs wires all that everytime i pull a plug i got them covered in gas........anyone can help me please do $5 to whoever fixes it lol
Check the fuel pressure. The proper specs are floating everywhere - check the prime psi, bleed rate, idle psi w/o vaccum, and idle psi with vacuum.

When you pull the vacuum line on the passanger side of the intake leading to the fuel pressure regulator check if there is fuel inside of it(there should not be).

Your regulator may be shot.

Last edited by Puck; 01-10-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Ooops, not a 93 engine
Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

running rich at idle = not a tuning problem
Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Launching!

clean your mass air flow. there may be something on it like a bug or maybe just dirty. Where I work, we had a vw jetta come in ,it wouldn't idle for crap and smelt like gas. searched around for while and decided to look at the filter and noticed in the mass airflow there was a spider melted to the wires.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since he has a 93 like me there is no mass air flow sensor. It is a speed density car. Just a thought though. I have been talking to him about tuning my car and he did good on my buddys TBI truck but doesnt seem to do well with the Speed Density LT1
Old 01-11-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

yea.... never really heard of them or heard of their work... so i wouldnt imagine the tune to be that great either..
Old 01-11-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

ohh also... your O2 sensors... are they still the factory 1 wire or did you convert it to 4 wire heated ones??? that could be the main problem... with LT's you move the sensor farther away from the engine... so the O2's dont get hot enough to take accurate readings... this can be the cause of your problem...
Old 01-11-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interestingly enough, We have had this same described problem with a few cars using E-proms from TBI chips. Finally we have given up on the guy and quit using him.

Quick Reply: Really Really Rich