LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 fuel pump replacement

This is for my LT1. Have the assy out but am having a tough time taking apart the fuel pump bucket/module (circled in red in pic), which has to be done to get to the pump. It supposedly prys apart but I'm afraid if I muscle on it too much it may crack and I'll be SOL. Is there a trick to it?
Attached Thumbnails LT1 fuel pump replacement-fuel-pump-bucket.jpg  
Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will come apart.

Once it is, use "Seal All" (Made by the Goop people) to secure the top to the base - it's made for applications such as this.

You can do it!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, i know that you feel like you need to be really ginger with it but the glue is pretty tough. If you can lightly tap aroung the glue to break it loose, you got it made!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's been a while, but I believe I "scored" along the glued connection with a razor blade. I don't recall having any trouble, so that must've worked.

Be sure to replace the pump sock!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pop the bottom tabs off then slide the whole bucket down to remove it, and I used a small screwdriver to pry the top cover off. It can be stubborn.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If I'm recalling correctly, what you have circled is the pump. I don't recall having to take that apart to get to the pump. Don't you just remove the entire assembly from the sending unit and put the new one in? Or are you replacing with something other than a stock pump assembly?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BTC
If I'm recalling correctly, what you have circled is the pump. I don't recall having to take that apart to get to the pump. Don't you just remove the entire assembly from the sending unit and put the new one in? Or are you replacing with something other than a stock pump assembly?
The pump itself is inside that plastic bucket unit. Aftermarket pumps are only the physical pump, so if you want to keep the bucket(which you should) you have to take it apart and put the new one in.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sorry. It wasn't clear that he was replacing with an aftermarket pump that required reusing the housing. Or maybe it was.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info, I'll try scoring around the top seam and see if that works.

And yes, I'm looking at replacing the pump only (w/ a racetronix). If I break the bucket apart then maybe I'll go the OEM route, which apparently includes the whole assembly.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Gearhead
Thanks for the info, I'll try scoring around the top seam and see if that works.

And yes, I'm looking at replacing the pump only (w/ a racetronix). If I break the bucket apart then maybe I'll go the OEM route, which apparently includes the whole assembly.
Although I do not recommend it, people have used aftermarket pumps without the bucket and just clamped them to the assembly.

It is there for a reason though, so if you can reuse it reuse it. On mine I had to snip the inside bottom two fins down so that the pump will stay straight. If you do that make sure its well cleaned before closing it up. Almost all the short term failures on those pumps are from user error and sucking up trash, since they are all pretested from the factory.

Quick Reply: LT1 fuel pump replacement