LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

GOOD LT1 Tuner in the southeast, where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GOOD LT1 Tuner in the southeast, where are they?

Ed Wright did an AWESOME job on my car initially, he is one cool dude.

I am about to change some things on the car and dont really have the time nor the money to tow back to Tulsa Ok from Mobile Alabama.

SO, where is there a VERY good LT1 tuner with a chassis dyno in the southeast? La, Miss,ALa, Ga, Northwest Fla?

No quacks, wannabe's or just plain dont know what they are doing. I want a LT1 TUNER, NOT a guy that just tunes LS1's and can tune an LT1.

I have an off the wall combo and want someone who can learn what it wants...not some guy who loads a file thats "close" and turns it loose.

I have talked to Thunder Racing, I didnt get that warm and fuzzy from them.

Speak up, Im all ears.

David
Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not start doing it your self. Your a pretty smart guy, no better time like the present.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fast , I live in Fl and this has been an issue for a while now, I still need a tune and have been told Futural is as close as it gets from Fl??? Ughhh , so the car is still on a basic tune
Old 04-08-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't believe Ed Wright can get you tuned via email?

I've heard great things about Futral, and was thinking about getting my tune there; however, I've been traveling almost continously since returning from the sand box and couldn't find the time to get out to Futrals.
I went with Ed Wright and I'm pleased with his service, and I'm starting to believe he is second to none .

But, I've also been told great things about Aleks' tuning skills, and I know that sometimes he travels and tunes cars on the east coast. I believe Aleks still posts here so maybe shoot him a PM.

Good luck on your new build!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
Why not start doing it your self. Your a pretty smart guy, no better time like the present.
Good point, and have thought about this alot. If I could get my mucho busy buddy to fix my laptop I may start doing it.

I have talked to Ed and he will help me via datalogs and e mailing tunes with Tunercats.

I think there is power to be found datalogging at the track and tweaking it there. The tune hasnt been touched since Ed dyno tuned it.

Hell why not, I have come this far.

David
Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 97blkz
Fast , I live in Fl and this has been an issue for a while now, I still need a tune and have been told Futural is as close as it gets from Fl??? Ughhh , so the car is still on a basic tune
I dont know about Futural, heard some not so favorable stuff about him.

I would let Thunder tune it before Futural.

What about XXX near P cola? He does LS1 stuff.

David
Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
No quacks, wannabe's or just plain dont know what they are doing. I want a LT1 TUNER, NOT a guy that just tunes LS1's and can tune an LT1.
Any particular reason for this? The LS1 is much harder to tune than the LT1 (especially obd1). If someone is a competent LS1 tuner they should find the early LT1s to be cake.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 AM
10 Second Club

Ed Wright is not theonly way to fly but your gonna get a top notch tune.... You can alwyas have someone fly to you.. I know that Job Spetter does this from time to time.. you can even setup somthing w/ ed to come to you i believe...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Brad Brand at Atlanta Chassis Dyno in Georgia.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Any particular reason for this? The LS1 is much harder to tune than the LT1 (especially obd1). If someone is a competent LS1 tuner they should find the early LT1s to be cake.
The reason is this, LT1's have VERY limited tuning software that 99% of LS1 tuners do not know how to use.

I disagree, I believe an LS1 is MUCH easier to tune than a LT1. Simply because there are SO many handheld tuners offered.

The LT1? Pretty much LT1 edit or Tunercats.

David
Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might make sense to go DFI Gen 7, BS3, or Fast XFI and have someone closer to tune the car. You will have greater resolution, much better software, and anyone who can tune in a sbc with DFI should be able to tune it in for you.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nostang
It might make sense to go DFI Gen 7, BS3, or Fast XFI and have someone closer to tune the car. You will have greater resolution, much better software, and anyone who can tune in a sbc with DFI should be able to tune it in for you.
Well there IS a problem with that, about a $2300 problem. A BS3 that will control a 4L60E with NOS activation etc cost that much, thats through a buddy who is a dealer. DFI or FAST to my knowledge cant control a 4L60E. Well a FAST might be able to, but by the time you get all the stuff to make it work, $3000 is not out of the question as far as cost. Shoot for $3k I could do ALOT more with the car. COuld drop some SERIOUS weight off the car, go much quicker that the stand alone EFI would make it go.

I dont really see where the factory OBD1 ecm is a handicap, my power peaks around 6800 rpm. The opti has been fine enduring multiple trips up there. Hell if Ed Wright and Benjamin Moore can go 9.80's on factory electronics I should have no problems with it.

I guess I will just have to get me a laptop, buy Tunercats and learn it. Hell the way LT1 tuners are in this area it MIGHT develop into something, ya never know.

It's just like anything else, what ya dont know scares you. Guess I will have to learn how to tune it myself. I know how all the sensors work and what they do, you just have to learn how to apply it to the tuning software.

David
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's just like anything else, what ya dont know scares you. Guess I will have to learn how to tune it myself. I know how all the sensors work and what they do, you just have to learn how to apply it to the tuning software.

David
Exactly.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

The reason is this, LT1's have VERY limited tuning software that 99% of LS1 tuners do not know how to use.

I disagree, I believe an LS1 is MUCH easier to tune than a LT1. Simply because there are SO many handheld tuners offered.

The LT1? Pretty much LT1 edit or Tunercats.
I'm talking about the parameters you have to adjust to get the tune right. Not referring to handheld tuners.

With the early LT1s, it is much easier as there is much less that needs to be done. The same basic principles apply to either. The LT1 runs more timing, and needs a different fuel correction from stock, but there's a lot less variables you have to worry about to get the tune right.

If someone knows how to use one of the LS1 tuning packages (hp tuners/efi live/et al) they should have no trouble with tunercats.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by infinitebird
I'm talking about the parameters you have to adjust to get the tune right. Not referring to handheld tuners.

With the early LT1s, it is much easier as there is much less that needs to be done. The same basic principles apply to either. The LT1 runs more timing, and needs a different fuel correction from stock, but there's a lot less variables you have to worry about to get the tune right.

If someone knows how to use one of the LS1 tuning packages (hp tuners/efi live/et al) they should have no trouble with tunercats.
I do not agree, I know what timing and fuel do and the way you ramp them affect power.I have been working on cars many years, did it for a living for 12 years. But what seperates me from say Ed Wright is knowing how to APPLY that knowledge to tuning software. Knowing what changes do what IN the software. Tunercats is NOT like ANY software available for an LS1. In Tunercats you have to do math for injector constants, speedo correction, shift points etc. LS1 software does it for you.

You make a mistake with an on the edge engine like I have, you hurt parts.

Everyone on the planet can shoot a pistol, doesnt mean they can hit anything with it.

I have called shops locally that tune alot of LS1's, they shy away from LT1 cars....because they, by admission, dont know the software. And or the limits of the factory ecm.

David
Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

I guess I just figure a competent tuner would know that or be able to look it up.

I started tuning my own car with no prior tuning knowledge and found the tunercat software to be very straightforward once I knew which tables did what and a few of the basic formulas for thinks like fueling.

But maybe you're right and there's a lot of people just used to the newer software that doesn't want to put the effort into understanding anything different.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

I have considered Megasquirt, easy to tune with I've seen the software and realtivley cheap. Who's the cat with the fast truck ,Parrish? I think he uses MS.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

the tables are all very similar between both HPTUner's and LT1edit as well as LS1edit.. the GUI is the largest differences.. albeit some tables are not avail between the diff software.. the end result is the same...
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

David,

Give Futral motor sports a call, mainly an LS1 shop but they have set up a few quick LT1 cars. One of the mods here had a 9 second LT1 blower car on a radial tire set up by them.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:43 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97blkz
I have considered Megasquirt, easy to tune with I've seen the software and realtivley cheap. Who's the cat with the fast truck ,Parrish? I think he uses MS.
I've been thinking about megasquirt too since I have a 93.

Quick Reply: GOOD LT1 Tuner in the southeast, where are they?