LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question on oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on oil pan gasket

Is there a way to replace it without pulling the engine?? I assume that the oil pump goes down far enough in the oil pan that I wont be able to get it off without lifting or pulling the engine...
Old 04-13-2008, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

There are two gaskets, a rubber one up front between the timing cover and the pan and a second one a regular gasket around the ten or so bolts between the pan and block. You can change the front rubber one by removing all pan bolts except the rear two and popping the front of the pan down about 1/2 inch. Never had to do the main gasket, not sure if it can be done with the pan just dropped an inch or so.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would not try and do an oil pan gasket without lifting the motor, if one of the pieces falls in, or is missligned, then you have to pull the pan. The pan actually will be stuck on the crank, or the windage tray before the oil pump. There is a nice one piece gasket out there that I just put on my car from felpro, seals like a champ. But you really have to raise the motor up to do it. The other thing is you dont want any gasket left when you are putting a new one on if someone glued the gasket on.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have an automatic there is enough room if you unbolt the engine mounts and raise the engine as high as it will go to pull the pan out. i used a floor jack and a piece of wood(2x2) like 8 inches long and jacked the engine from the bottom of the timing chain cover. then just turn the crankshaft so non of the counter weights are in the way when pulling the pan