LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Does this look like spit to you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this look like spit to you?

lol sorry, had to get that out of my system... but i really have a question... and it is another opti question... and i just want to see if this sounds like an opti failure situation, or something a lot worse... first of all, the car takes forever to crank over to start.... and today it started like slowly starting to fire, and that caused the idle to be like pretty high for idle (like 1500 rpm), and it stays that way for about 10 seconds or so until it finally figures out that it is running lol... but its only done that a couple times... another problem it is having is that it misses or backfires, one of the two, when i am parked and push the gas to go... it gets really sluggish and finally seems alright at a little bit higher rpms... it also cuts out at high rpms and seems to have trouble climbing all the way up... and when its warm it just seems to get worse and worse... i was thinking it was a head gasket or something like that because it almost seems like it has water in the intake when i am in park and revv it... like the motor bogs down, but once i get over like 1500 rpms it seems fine, and its not a sweet smell, but its more of a rich fuel smell... im guessing that i am missing, but i havent had a check engine light in ages
so does that sound like signs of opti failure to you, or is there something else to check out before hand... also, i just got a brand new msd cap and rotor, along with a new ignition coil because i figure thats what the problem is considering the car has like 151k on it with stock opti and probably stock coil, but it just shows no signs code wise, and i didnt know what else would do this...
so just let me know if you have any other ideas... and also, i changed plugs and wires about 2 months ago, so i dont see that being a problem... but just let me know what ya think
Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

make sure you don't have a burnt wire
Old 04-17-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i will do that for sure tomorrow... gonna for sure change out the cap and rotor just because its sure gonna need it with that many miles on it... it cant hurt... but yeah im gonna look all that over and make sure all the plugs look alright... and i may even go and buy some heat wrap stuff for them just to make sure
Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Best thing to do is put the Tech 2 on it. I also think you should return that MSD cap + rotor, and get a complete brand new GMPP opti.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry, but what is the tech 2? lol im not up to par on that
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a scanner. It gives real-time data monitoring and logging capabilites. It will most likely lead you in the direction on what's wrong with your car.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

clean ur maf too
Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldn't hurt to get the ignition coil module tested out.

Quick Reply: Does this look like spit to you?