LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 newb questions/ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lt1 newb questions/ideas??

ok i am a former mustang guy never owned an lt1 i used to run circles around them in my 02 gt with few bolt ons and exhaust all motor (couldnt do it to an ls1 all motor had to spray) well anyways i have been a loyal owner of an ls1 trans-am now for some time and came up on an offer i just couldnt refuse on an 97 lt1 trans-am so i bought it not knowing anything about them.

I want it to be my daily driver and still get in the 20's on gas mileage, and also be able to keep up with other cars ie mustangs, ls1's and such. The car is totally stock except for an k&n intake i am wanting to know can i spray it or should I do exhaust and such i have been reading all the lt1 posts and just cant come up with a descent answer. I have a gen2 gemeni nx kit ls1/lt1 kit that i want to put on. it has 120,xxx on it is that too much for it or should i not even bother spraying it? would a cam be too much for a motor with that many miles? my uncle says the motor is just now getting broke in good. I know i have read a bunch of stories about the opti and that scares me a lil bit bout lt1's i just wanted yalls opinons on the lt1................sorry for such long post
Attached Thumbnails lt1 newb questions/ideas??-0529080942-1-.jpg  
Old 05-31-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LTx motors can be sprayed almost up till 200K with 150 shot. There's a thread going on now (something like "75 or 100shot?") that will give you all the answers to your NOS question. But a simple answer is: You can spray it with 125 (150, but apparently that doesn't do anything more than the 125) and not have to pull timing or anything, just run colder plugs. I'd still get exhaust done.

BTW, I've never lost to any Mustang in my 91 TPI 350 or my LT1 Both were/are stock save for cat-back, 58mmTB (which doesn't help much), free mods and a fairly worthless tune done by myself.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Don't worry about the opti, you have a vented opti which is much more reliable since the venting prevents moisture from building up inside. And any exhaust mods will make a big difference, LT1s are choked by the factory intake/exhaust, it's a big engine and needs to breath. Start with a cold air intake and a good catback, and if you want to go for some long tube headers and high flow cats/no cats.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the mileage since these engines have proven to be pretty tough. Nitrous can break anything if not used correctly.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Launching!

thanks formula 350 for the info and yes ive been reading that post everyone seems to be differently opinionated bout what shot they run pretty much stock i think i am going to just go with the 125/150 dont know yet and do a cat back. it has some ancient catback on it now that i have never heard of called decoma. oh and mine was a 2002 gt with 373's, hpipe flowmasters,tb, and a zex wet kit it had just a few bolt ons that was like 3 years ago but it was tough on an lt1 i beat da driver alot of times not the car. the ls1 tho was always out of the question without nitrous. hence the reason im driving one lol.

Formula 413: thanks for the info as well i was kinda skurred to spray being that i bought it to be my daily driver so i could park the ls1 and turn it into a beast. but after reading some posts im not afraid i read where one dude had like 156,xxx and was spraying like a 150 shot thats inspiration there lol. what kind of intakes do they make for the lt1's soes f.a.s.t make one like they do for the ls1's i have never seen one?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Actually I was referring to the air intake, not the intake manifold. Moroso, K & N and SLP all make good cold air intakes and they are usually good for around 15 hp. And you are right, there are few if any aftermarket intake manifolds for LT1s, I think Edlebrock makes one but that's about all I know.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Launching!

thanks 413 the car looks like it has a k&n heck i dont know stock from aftermarket on this thing lol but it runs pretty dang hard for an lt1 wish i could race my ls1 with an equal driver of my skill to see which one is faster im sure the ls1 tho. the previous owner said it dyno'd at 286 back in the days.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldn't be afraid to spray it so long you have the proper tuning done along with the proper safety accessories. I also wouldn't be too worried about the Opti just try not to get any kind of liquid on it. I have never had any kind of Opti issues with either my LT1's but I have made sure not to get any water etc. on it. As far as intakes, the stocker along with the stock TB is plenty good until some major mods start happening and at that time most people have the stock intakes ported. The only alternative would be to buy an Edelbrock Intake which would be a large waste of money because you may be lucky to gain 3hp and be out $450.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Launching!

thanks stealth i plan on getting it all done at this shop down here where im at tune and all, when you say try not to get wet do you not drive your car in rain? and i surely wouldnt buy the lt1 intake from edelbrock for that price and that minimal of a gain............
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blubyu02
thanks stealth i plan on getting it all done at this shop down here where im at tune and all, when you say try not to get wet do you not drive your car in rain? and i surely wouldnt buy the lt1 intake from edelbrock for that price and that minimal of a gain............
I think he means don't pressure wash the motor. Even though plenty of people do it without any problems. Rain is no problem just avoid real big puddles like you normally would with a CAI. A port matched intake will be more than enough for a daily driver.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Launching!

thanks cariboo im green to all this lt1 stuff.........
Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha, "lt1 newb questions/ideas" what questions do you have about me? sorry, i had to lol.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CaribooLou
I think he means don't pressure wash the motor. Even though plenty of people do it without any problems. Rain is no problem just avoid real big puddles like you normally would with a CAI. A port matched intake will be more than enough for a daily driver.
yeah thats pretty much what I meant...If your ever going to pressure wash or hose down the engine bay try to just not spray directly onto or block off with a cloth the opti just in case. In terms of driving in the rain I've done it a million times but I havent ever hit any large puddles.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Launching!

lol at lt1noob. and thanks stealth im a little too anxious to start going stuff to the car now guess we will see in time............
Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

155k and I spray my car, I like the Zex set-up I think it is a little easier on the motor. PCM 4 less tune and cai, stock exhast.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Launching!

i had a zex wet kit on my mustang 125 or 150 i dont remember, i loved it and never had one problem with at what-so-ever. i now have a nx wet kit im thinking of installing on the lt1 i wanted to get rid of it and get something else but looks like im keeping it and putting it on the lt1 being that it didnt sell on here its worth a try.
on my mustang i had to get out and pop the trunk to open the bottle kind of worthless when i ran into a vette,camaro on the interstate now i can do everything from the comfort of my drivers seat so im kind of excited to see how the ole lt1 is going to take to it. what size shot are you spraying? i believe the zex kits are rated at the flywheel right??
Old 06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

I have the 75-125 system. Right now I'm running the the 100 shot. My best time right now is a 1.80 60ft and 8.15 et for the 1/8 mile.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Launching!

thats the same system i had its nice gl to ya with it

Quick Reply: lt1 newb questions/ideas??