LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Whats a good single muffler (bullet)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good single muffler (bullet)

After taking my 10 bolt out, i've decided to put in a new fuel pump, but i needed to take the catback "magnaflow" system out, i noticed its heavy (& balky), would it run better with a single bullet style muffler? It has PS LTs with an Ory (no cats), what would be a good sounding muffler without being too loud?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The magnaflow is actually a very high flowing catback, you wont gain much going to a bullet style muffler if your going for HP.....Not to mention its going to be pretty loud, perhaps louder than you may want.

Id say stick with what your running right now, its a quality stainless catback that sounds good with LTs and ORY (my opinion). If you change it, like I said, its going to be LOUD (I personally think theres no such thing as too loud, so my opinion on that really doesnt matter.....it will just be loud).
Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, i can just slip it back on, its just so balky lol, car acually looks better not having any pipes sticking out the back.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

It would be totally up to you, if you think you can stand it being a little louder and a little more harsh than it is now, then go for it. Like I said, I love loud. Louder the better!

This would give you a good idea.....

You currently have LTs/ORY/magnaflow, so while you have the magnaflow off....Finish up your fuel pump and then start the car up with nothing behind the Y pipe....THEN, average the two togeather (a bullet muffler would be somewhere between open headers and the magnaflow......more than likely a little closer to open headers with a little of the edge taken off).
Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Regular

This is how i run my built 383. I love it. its loud and really loud at wot. but i have never heard anything from anyone else saying its too loud. Everyone says it sounds awesome. I think you can get one for 50.00 just buy it and try it. if you dont like it sell it. Just my O2!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

are you wanting more rumble than the magnaflow without sounding too much like open headers ? theres alot of choices... check out ls1sounds.com . you can get a good idea what you want there. borla and gmmg are popular stainless catbacks
Old 06-02-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely not looking for another cat back system, its just i'm trying to balance the issues, "cons" 1st. don't like the big tips, 2nd. the extra weight, 3rd., i'm installing a 9" so the extra 65.00 lbs. is enough, 4th. it gets in the way of everything back there, 5th. the pipeing is getting rusty, 6th. & most important, just too damn lazy to put it back on lol (fought with it getting it out), 'Pros", it is quit cruiseing around, 2nd., no exhaust fumes, 3rd. sounds fairly good moderate/WOT.

I'll see whats out there in bullets, i did see a Camaro at my local track with some sort of bullet on his, he had LTs & Ory, i was very surprised how quit it was, it was actually alot quiter then mine @ WOT, heck, you barely could hear it running standing right by it, but when he reved it up, it had a flowmaster type sound, but you could tell it wasn't a master, just had that kind of sound/tone.

Quick Reply: Whats a good single muffler (bullet)