LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What will I run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will I run?

What will I run seems to be asked every other day here...and it is question that you can all answer for yourself. The attached file is a calculator. Download it then change the name from drag.txt to drag.exe

It allows you to enter the hp you think your car has and enter the weight to find what your car will likely run at the track. If you click on the drag.txt a Windows popup will open, select save, then as pic shows save as...

I wrote the aplication and it is guranteed to be safe.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails What will I run?-screen-save.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
drag.txt (60.0 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Calc won't open for me. But question, you are supposed to input flywheel numbers, correct?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Checked it out and there's a bug. Everytime I enter in my Wheel HP (244), and calc, it automatically changes it to 224. Cool app though. Desktop Dyno's Drag program is pretty much the same thing but you can enter in a ton more details like stall, gears, shift rpm, tires, weather conditions and maybe a few more things.

GJ though.

Fergy, open up any folder on your computer, up top goto Tools > Folder Options. In the next window, click the View tab and in the "Advanced" box, at the bottom of it (w/o scrolling down) you should see "Hide extensions for known file types". Uncheck that box and click OK. Then goto where you saved the Drag file too. If it now says "Drag.exe.txt" then rename it and remove the .txt part.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

It just says it failed to initialize properly, click OK to close this program. I had the extention right.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh ok. Huh. I'd try to DL it again maybe? Unless you're running a 64bit OS or Vista, both could be the cause.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

Upper right has a 'Help' click it and read that is not a bug
Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fergymoto
It just says it failed to initialize properly, click OK to close this program. I had the extention right.
Not sure I have used it on many XP machines and many hav used it. No one had that error....TRy deleting it and reload
Old 06-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula350
Checked it out and there's a bug.

Everytime I enter in my Wheel HP (244), and calc, it automatically changes it to 224. Cool app though.
No you didnt click and read the help that is exactly how it tels you it operates. Read first then complain after

Desktop Dyno's Drag program is pretty much the same thing but you can enter in a ton more details like stall, gears, shift rpm, tires, weather conditions and maybe a few more things.
Where do you download their fre program?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Banned

Also ironic that after al these loads and atempt at running it NO ONE looked at the picture of how to load the file???

I wondered how this would go....
Old 06-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

Calc won't open for me. But question, you are supposed to input flywheel numbers, correct?
it will calculate either...maybe someone else can email you the exe

What op you running?

If you enter flywheel it calculates wheel if you wnant to enter wheel you clear fly other way would require another button and make uyou select...
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Battle, one post not 10 lol

Yes, I read the Help afterwards. I just figured that 60hp is quite a loss from an auto when it seems to be more like 40hp, as well, other transmission (which people do swap in) would result in more or less powerloss. So maybe make it so you can enter in your own BHP.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

Here is screen for 7.58 and 3600 lbs
Attached Thumbnails What will I run?-758-scren.jpg  
Old 06-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

Battle, one post not 10 lol

Yes, I read the Help afterwards. I just figured that 60hp is quite a loss from an auto when it seems to be more like 40hp, as well, other transmission (which people do swap in) would result in more or less powerloss. So maybe make it so you can enter in your own BHP.
Yes each car is different some have greater losses some less. IF you have no clue you simply take what most say is the average...

These are NEVER exact gives you an idea what it will take...IF my car is 3600 and I go 7.58 how much hp will it take to get to 7.49 how much weight what if I subtract 30 lbs etc
Old 06-07-2008, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Also ironic that after al these loads and atempt at running it NO ONE looked at the picture of how to load the file???
I'm not stupid it is not cooperating with my computer for whatever reason. I have done exactly as the image shows and messed around trying other things. I am running 2002 version of XP Pro with Service Pack 2.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Old 06-07-2008, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

can anyone post how close the estimate of this program is. i don't have my new motor and had to guess my weight and hp so it's pretty much useless for me until i know these two things for sure.

if you know your cars weight and hp plug it in and let us know how close this thing is to your actual et.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by C_Rules
can anyone post how close the estimate of this program is. i don't have my new motor and had to guess my weight and hp so it's pretty much useless for me until i know these two things for sure.

if you know your cars weight and hp plug it in and let us know how close this thing is to your actual et.
I know you prefer someone saying yes or no, but here is an article that expalins the 'art' of estimating.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-calc-hp-et-mph.htm

Why is it you will accept someone's guessed car weight and imagined hp, but expect a calculator to take those guesses and give you a precise answer?

The calculator is meant to compare. If you have say 400 rwhp and want to go .1 sec faster what will it take? That is what his is for not for you guys to desktop dyno ...
Old 06-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Banned

I'm not stupid it is not cooperating with my computer for whatever reason. I have done exactly as the image shows and messed around trying other things. I am running 2002 version of XP Pro with Service Pack 2.
Send me a message and give me your email. I will email it to you. Will avoid some problems.

Or can someone capture how they did it screen by screen? I don't think anyone else has had this problem but with windows there is some reason that we may never know...

also can you try a different machine?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

If you find a bug pm me. I checked for most errors. but the more people who touch it. the more bugs that get revealed.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2008, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BattleShip
What will I run seems to be asked every other day here...and it is question that you can all answer for yourself. It allows you to enter the hp you think your car has and enter the weight to find what your car will likely run at the track.

Good luck
Seems to me like this program was intended to estimate how quick you car will run. why would i want to use it if it wasn't even close to accurate. I'm not saying that is the case with this program. I would just like a review to see if I should use it.

Originally Posted by BattleShip
Why is it you will accept someone's guessed car weight and imagined hp, but expect a calculator to take those guesses and give you a precise answer?

this is for not for you guys to desktop dyno ...
my post said i don't know my current car's weight or hp. why would i guess these numbers and then use an estimator on top of that? even I agree to that. I want to hear from someone who actually knows their car's weight, hp, and et. this way we would be able to see how accurate of an estimate this calculator gives. why use an estimator that isn't even close. see above comment. again i'm not saying that is the case with this program...just trying to gauge whether I should use it when I know all my numbers.

Originally Posted by Bolter
our hero can't click help, another can't load it, and one wants to know it's accuracy? Is this the funniest **** you ever read or is it just me? Then he links math to this crowd **** me they are lucky this site has a remember me or they would never get back in

come on
Bolter I can guarantee that you are not perfect. However, you love to point out the flaws of others

Quick Reply: What will I run?