LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

kooks guys inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kooks guys inside

i am right in the middle of installing my kooks LT's and i had a couple Qs and concerns. i have them on and snugged up but not tightened down yet. first, i cant seem to get anything on the bolts but a closed end wrench bc the bolts are so close to the headers but i cant get onto it enough to tighten them up like they need.does anyone have any tips or pointers for me, maybe?

i am also wondering how others with these headers change their oil filter. mine seems like it will be a pain to change bc of the headers. should i mount the filter elsewhere from now on?

and then i am wondering about the alternator bracket that came off the foremost passenger side manifold bolt. does that have to go back on or do i just use the supplied header bolt and delete that one bracket?
Old 06-15-2008, 05:26 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know what size bolts you're using, but I had to grind down the box end of a 12 point 3/8" wrench to get access to all of my bolts.

I did not resuse the alternator bracket that was mounted to the stud. The alternator is more than secure enough without it.

I think there are some oil filter relocation kits available. I haven't really driven my car since I installed my headers, so I haven't changed the oil yet. I just used a really short filter, and removed the oil cooler.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i cant even get a box end on some of mine. use either a open end or crowsfoot. the oil filter definitely sucks though. i break it loose and let it fall on the collector, then snake it out of there. never thought about using a remote filter though.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get arp 12 point stainless bolt's.. they use a 5/16" wrench... and make your life so much easier... get the 1" long ones too get a lil more bite in them..
Old 06-15-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys. i will probably try grinding down my wrench first and order the arp bolts if worse comes to worse.

flamingchicken, doesnt oil get all over them when you drop it onto the collector? i guess you just wipe the header off after that ?
Old 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Go here:

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG

and search for 46523

12 point 3/8 X 1 inch intake bolt kit. Comes with a wrench. Like 12 bucks at Auto Zone. Or Summit. Or Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/46523/10002/-1
Old 06-15-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah just spray it down with brake cleaner and wipe it up best i can. blow the rest off with another spray down
Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To keep your headers clean, wrap the bottom of the header with a garbage bag before removing the filter. Thread the new filter in place & then carefully remove the bag. No oil will be on the header.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the link paul. i ordered those and ill give them a try.

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
To keep your headers clean, wrap the bottom of the header with a garbage bag before removing the filter. Thread the new filter in place & then carefully remove the bag. No oil will be on the header.
^^^this is a good idea. thanks for the tip
Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been doing this for years. I learned this on my '68 BBC Camaro as the 2-1/8" tubes & 3-1/2" collectors barely left any room to get the filter out unless it was completely laying on its side.

I even do this on my 4x4 Chevy truck where the oil filter dumps oil over the driveshaft when it is removed. Small shopping bags also work pretty well if it is a smaller filter. You can wrap the bag around the filter & it will spill in the bag instead of down your arm.