LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bmr k-member (add solid motor mounts?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmr k-member (add solid motor mounts?)

ok, i've recently upgraded my turbo to a much heavier GT4788 and had to build a mount on the frame to hold it solid. my question is, can the standard bmr k-member be converted to a solid motor mount? i really don't want to go through the process of replacing the k-member again. and before anybody says anything, i'd love to put the high clearance turbo k-member with solid mounts on, but i don't think the headers will clear where the motor mounts. any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

??????????? i'm not sure i understand your question, but if someone sells solid motor mounts for LT1s, they would fit wherever stock ones fit.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should only need one solid mount because BMR k-member already has one solid mount (poly bushed). How did you go about mounting a brace for the turbo (pics if possible) ?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 AM
9 Second Club

it's mounted just under the frame directly behind the driver side blinker.

don't really have any pics of the bracket, but i'll try to snap a few when i tear everything back apart. basically just a T4 flange that 90* down to a T6 flange, a bracket opened up to a T6 flange, then the turbo mounted to the bracket. turned out quite nice with the least amount of work.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:30 PM
9 Second Club

Okay I went thru this recently with BMR cause I absolutely could not get my set of solid motor mounts to fit correctly (I got the motor in with Moroso solid mount but tranny was like 5" high).....

As someone said you are only dealing with the drivers side since the k-mbr has an integrated mount with a poly bushing on the passengers side.... The solid steel moroso plate that mounts to the block on the drivers side will fit with a BUNCH of convicing. HOWEVER it does not have the negative angle built into it like the stock motor mount does. The stock k-member will fit with solid mounts because seemingly the negative 2 degree angle down is built into the k-mbr and not the mounts..... get it???? YOu need to have the negative 2 angle built into something so that the engine and drivetrain angles slightly down. The solid mounts don't have it and neither does the BMR k-mbr so you end up with an engine that is completely straight. Engine will be in but will be CRAZY high in the back end causing the tranny to bind up in the tunnel....

the only fix is go to stock mount on the drivers side (which I did) or go to front and mid motor plates and eliminate your motor mounts... hope that helps...
Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

not to hijack this thread or anything but i just recently bought a umi k member. Will I not be able to use my stock motor mounts?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Rules
not to hijack this thread or anything but i just recently bought a umi k member. Will I not be able to use my stock motor mounts?
The stock motor mounts and poly mounts will work just fine with our K-member.

If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks!

Ryan
Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The stock motor mounts and poly mounts will work just fine with our K-member.

If you have any other questions please let me know. Thanks!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan my whole suspension is UMi except for the springs. Top quality stuff.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Okay I went thru this recently with BMR cause I absolutely could not get my set of solid motor mounts to fit correctly (I got the motor in with Moroso solid mount but tranny was like 5" high).....

As someone said you are only dealing with the drivers side since the k-mbr has an integrated mount with a poly bushing on the passengers side.... The solid steel moroso plate that mounts to the block on the drivers side will fit with a BUNCH of convicing. HOWEVER it does not have the negative angle built into it like the stock motor mount does. The stock k-member will fit with solid mounts because seemingly the negative 2 degree angle down is built into the k-mbr and not the mounts..... get it???? YOu need to have the negative 2 angle built into something so that the engine and drivetrain angles slightly down. The solid mounts don't have it and neither does the BMR k-mbr so you end up with an engine that is completely straight. Engine will be in but will be CRAZY high in the back end causing the tranny to bind up in the tunnel....

the only fix is go to stock mount on the drivers side (which I did) or go to front and mid motor plates and eliminate your motor mounts... hope that helps...
lovely! motor plates are out of the question because of all the turbo piping. i wonder if bmr would build a set for the right price?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

We have looked into doing a solid mount but just haven't had the time to develop one. We probably won't investigate it until the end of the year when things slow down.

Quick Reply: bmr k-member (add solid motor mounts?)