LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

pcv valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pcv valve

what does your pcv valves look like. i went to o reillys today and they gave me something that looks completely different. it was a straight metal valve. all i have now is a hollow peice of plastic with a 90 degree angle in it.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They gave you the elbow, not the actual valve.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the process of making the easiest catch can in the world, if you want updates later.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, i understand now. i only have the elbow on the car with no valve in it. thanks for the help.

^^^i may want an update on the homemade catch can if i decide not to sell my car.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

nevermind :-)

Last edited by LTBANDIT; 06-24-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
... i only have the elbow on the car with no valve in it. ...
You're not talking about your passenger valve cover are you?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

the elbow that is on the top of the passnger side valve cover is the cccv. The pcv is located on the driver side of the intake manifold almost right in the middle. hope that helps. The piece that they gave you is the right piece.

p.s. formula350 let me know on some updates on your catch can
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is CCCV?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok. ive never heard of a cccv. i always thought the pcv valve was the thing going into the valve cover.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
ok. ive never heard of a cccv. i always thought the pcv valve was the thing going into the valve cover.

On an LT-1, the PCV valve is located in the drivers side of the intake manifold plenum, about half way down. The "90 degree plastic thing" goes into the passenger side valve cover. A length of hose then connects it to a nipple on the throttle body.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by blackz93
What is CCCV?
Constant Crankcase Ventilation I believe..I've always seen it as CCV

This is how it works.. I know this very well cause I just had to set it all up on my Engine, I was tired of it building Crankcase Pressure and blowing Oil mist all over the Engine Bay.

Basically you have to have an enclosed System for it to work properly. I always believed in breathers, but it does suck in out side unmetered air, and that was messing with some things on my Engine.
You have to have a constant vacumn from the Crankcase, usually this is a Vacumn Line going from the Intake/Throttle Body to the right side Valve Cover. Then on the other side you have to have a PCV(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve on a Vacumn Line going to the Intake as well. Having all this in the right places makes it all enclosed, and you can get a negative Crankcase Pressure, which is what you want.
Now how it works is that the Constant side is always pulling a Vacumn, and the PCV Valve side is shut(Valve closed). Basically any internal pressure is getting sucked out. When the internal pressures reach the point where that one side can't suck it out, the inside of the Crankcase now has a positive pressure, and then the PCV Valve opens up, allowing that side to suck the remaining pressure out until it gets back down to where the PCV Valve closes. It works very well when it's working right.

Now this is how the Breather ***** with it..
Most people keep the PCV Valve in. The Valve won't close up unless there is a negative Crankcase pressure. The Breather actually keeps the Crankcase in a 0 pressure state so to speak, there isn't a negative internal pressure. Pretty much the PCV Valve stays open and you suck in air that the MAF doesn't meter.

I had mine setup like that and it was messing with my Idle. Now I have to readjust a couple of things to get it to Idle again since it's acutally running the right way.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Merv, good explanation. For the "old timers" like me, we didn't have to worry about the PCM and the MAF trying to chase down "un-metered" airflow. We just "jetted up" a couple of numbers..........

Quick Reply: pcv valve