Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

If I have a bad slave cyl, can it damage a new master cyl?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If I have a bad slave cyl, can it damage a new master cyl?

I plan on getting the Tick adjustable master cyl to finally solve my pedal woes once and for all. I'll note that my pedal does stick about halfway down at WOT.... changing the fluid using Ranger's method works initially but after a few days it'll be back. I searched and a member said they replaced the slave before replacing the master twice and they said since the master was bad, it allowed crap to get into the slave and trashed it.

I'm strapped for cash and I don't want to get a slave also, plus I'm not sure if I can replace it myself or afford the labor. I would hate to drop the cash for a new master only to have it crap out thanks to a bad slave.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

heres a couple cheap slaves with low mileage if money is a concern. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...463&highlight=
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 AM
Launching!

^thanks. Cheaper than I thought, but there's still the issue that I don't have a tranny jack and I've never dropped a tranny before, and even though I've opened up auto trannies at my school I'm still not confident enough to do it myself

So, anyone?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Read the stickies. There's alot of of good information on here. Do a search. You don't necessarly need a tranny jack. I used a regular jack. I had it supporting the tail of the tranny. As soon as I pulled the input shaft out, I started lowering the jack while I supported the front with my hand. I set the transmission down on a piece of cardboard so that I could slide it out from underneathe the car without scratching it. Of course this was done with the car sitting on jack stands. With a lift you can do it the same way but you have to be pretty stong to do it. I recommend you get someone to help.