Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pedal problem!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal problem!!!????

I recently just installed a new engine and new clutch in my 99 f bird. I havent took the car to the tuner's yet to get the car started, but i am having a problem with the clutch pedal. It doesnt get firm at all. I bleed the hydraulic clutch system and put synthetic in it also. When i installed my new clutch i replaced the throw out bearing(slave cylinder) and the pilot bearing. But now that my engine and transmission are back in the car the clutch pedal as no pressure at all. I've tried pupmping it but it wont harden up at all.Has this ever happened to anyone before when replacing their clutch? Does anyone know what my problem could be and how i could fix it?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Interlizer130
I recently just installed a new engine and new clutch in my 99 f bird. I havent took the car to the tuner's yet to get the car started, but i am having a problem with the clutch pedal. It doesnt get firm at all. I bleed the hydraulic clutch system and put synthetic in it also. When i installed my new clutch i replaced the throw out bearing(slave cylinder) and the pilot bearing. But now that my engine and transmission are back in the car the clutch pedal as no pressure at all. I've tried pupmping it but it wont harden up at all.Has this ever happened to anyone before when replacing their clutch? Does anyone know what my problem could be and how i could fix it?
This happens.

You need to use a pressure bleeder, you have a very large air pocket in your system and it's not allowing the hydraulics to function properly. If you are using a Mighty-Vac, that's not going to cut it.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

could having that large pressure pocket of air hurt anything?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any directions are links to this pressure bleeder? Im having the same issue
Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 PM
FormerVendor

could having that large pressure pocket of air hurt anything?
Nah, just won't allow the clutch to operate properly.

I use a KD Tool pn 2901, you also have to "make" a slave cylinder reservoir cap that will attach to that tool and seal on your stock slave cylinder reservoir... I had one laying around that I modified to work.

This is an expensive tool, be prepared.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

how expensive are we talking here?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM
FormerVendor

$145-$210 depending on where you get it... this is the tool I use in my shop, it's the best and it works flawlessly!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to bleed the clutch on the car easy enough.Open bleeder,push peddle to floor,shut bleeder.Do this 3-4 times and you should be good.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You should be able to bleed the clutch on the car easy enough.Open bleeder,push peddle to floor,shut bleeder.Do this 3-4 times and you should be good.
You can do it this way yes, it may take a bit longer than 3-4 times if the pocket is big enough... damn air!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

I tried that already and no luck.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

could it be possible the new slave cylinder is faulty?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 PM
FormerVendor

could it be possible the new slave cylinder is faulty?
If after you power bleed it you still don't have a pedal, there is a slight possibility. I doubt it, it's more than likely air in the line.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Well believe me i've bleed the thing so there would be no air in the line and i dont have the least bit of pressure in my clutch at all. I talked to a couple of people and they said it could be that my master cylinder is no good, my car has 96,000 miles on it and this is the first time replacing the clutch or anything to do with the hydraulics?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

with my stock clutch, and my new one, the pedal is so soft, it kinda worries me.

i wouldnt be surprised if a cat could push the pedal down

i asked this question before, but i would like to get another answer.. lets say that you connected the mityvac up normally, then opened the bleeder and put a hose on the end of the bleeder into some brake fluid, and used the mityvac to suck the fluid up through the system... wouldnt this basically be the same as using a pressure bleeder (i guess it would work opposite, but still the same thing)

wouldnt the vacuum force the brake fluid to push all of the air out?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can just hook the Mityvac up to the line at the top with some fluid in the mityvac's line to replace the air and create a vacuum in the lines. Let it sit for an hour or so and the air should work itself up. You can also pump the pedal to expedite the process.

I'm not so sure you should be that concerned, mine did this after it was replaced and I just let the car idle for a while and pumped the pedal while running. Everything firmed up after that. Also, my E36 BMW does the same thing and I have to let it run for quite some time too.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

could my hydraulics have a bad master cylinder? i still have the stock one in the car after 96,000 miles. Before i put the new clutch in my pedal would stick to the floor once in a while and now i replaced the clutch i have no pedal pressure at all. I had to let the car sit for 2 months while i was waiting for my engine rebuild, could the master cylinder line have cracked from dryness? i dont see any leaks??