Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flywheel? steel or chromoly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flywheel? steel or chromoly?

I'm getting ready to by a clutch kit with your choice of a billet steel flywheel or a lightweight chromoly flywheel. Its going in my h/c ss that will be a street /strip car(more street than strip).My question is, what are the pros and cons to a billet steel flywheel vs a lightweight chromoly flywheel? Like wear and tear, reliability, longevity, revs, etc.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

The chormoly is gonna be more expensive, and really the only downfall to it would be whether or not it is SFI certified (some are, some aren't). Of course, if you are not worried about that, then I would go chromoly. Some will argue that a lighter flywheel is harder to drive on a street car. Hog wash. Any time you can save weight over a simliar part, the better (all things being equal)
Old 02-21-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

The lightweight flywheel is more for autoXing. The steel one for drag racing. With the lighter flywheel you could lose some Torque. With the lightflywheel your motor will spin up faster. Its a coin flip.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSTYCOON
The lightweight flywheel is more for autoXing. The steel one for drag racing. With the lighter flywheel you could lose some Torque. With the lightflywheel your motor will spin up faster. Its a coin flip.
I dynoed before and after, lost no torque, it's inertia you lose, but even then, I have not noticed any adverse affects yet, we will see once I hit the strip on the 4th.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the weight difference between the two?

I have an aluminum Fidanza which is about 13 pounds if I remember correctly and the lighter flywheel will make the engine rev faster, but not launch as hard because you don't have that inertia of the weight spinning. Basically, unless you are launching at or near the rev limiter and still bogging the extra weight isn't helping you out and is hurting you. The only time you want that extra weight is when you are launching and getting plenty of traction. That said, if you are launching on slicks you probably want that extra weight. Lightweight is fine to drive on the street. Sorry, I can't speak on the strength, reliability and longevity of the chromeoly but I doubt you would have a problem there.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BADD SS
I dynoed before and after, lost no torque, it's inertia you lose, but even then, I have not noticed any adverse affects yet, we will see once I hit the strip on the 4th.
oops thats what I ment to say..im a little rusty. I think the car will be faster in the 1/8 mile. good luck. let us know about the results.

Quick Reply: Flywheel? steel or chromoly?