T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Sponsored by
McLeod Clutch

Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default t56 with bolt on transfer case? awd

It's been two years since anyone asked, so I'm asking again. Has anyone found a way to bolt on an awd transfer case to a t56 transmission? I have read about the guys making custom adapters and such, but I am hoping by now someone has found a bolt on solution. This would really kick *** for a future project.
Thanks!
IknowNothings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

I don't know, but since IIRC there has never been anything that came out of the factory with a T56 and AWD you probably still need the custom adapters.
1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" custom dual exhaust w/ x-pipe | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
nighthawk15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9

At best, I'd say take the C5 (vette) transaxle T56, and adapt it's output shaft and tailhousing to a transfer case. You'll need an engine-mount front plate, and custom shift rail (ala CTS-v). As mentioned, some amount of customization would have to happen..

My $0.02
85MikeTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6

Mike,
I think using a Vette box would be more expensive than starting with an Fcar unit. There would be less to change:The extension housing would be the big $$ item because it would either be a really ugly weldment or a milled from solid aluminum part. It would have the transfer case bolt pattern / flange. The mainshoft would be custom to mate with the TC input. A forward-mount shifter would complete the package.I have seen this done.
calhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Banned
1989 Ford Mustang

Trader Rating: 60
Send a message via Yahoo to thesource

I would say building an adapter based on a Vette tail housing would be the best way but good luck on the main shaft .
thesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6

Starting with a Vette would require inventing a new linkage (it exits at the front),a bell that mates with an odd-ball flange, a release system and you would still need a new mainshaft. The vette flange also would not mate to any TC without adaptation. Just using a vette rear housing and cut/ weld for a TC might work but still needs the mainshaft.
calhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Banned
1989 Ford Mustang

He would have to build some kind of mid shift setup using the four bolt plate cover that housing the shift detent selector .
Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #8
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

I did some searching and it seams I am not alone in the want for an awd ls1 t56
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...=396707&page=5
and
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/t56-...er-129075.html

but still no luck for a true bolt on awd tcase
IknowNothings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Banned
1989 Ford Mustang

Summit Racing did a vehicle a few years ago with a 6 speed and AWD if I remember correctly . You might start there and see what you can turn up .
Old 03-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Sounds like RSGear is working on one. Not sure if it'll see production or not, but at least somebody knows how to do it.

Linky with pic: http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66882

Basically it boils down to running a fairly normal T56 with the C5/C6 tailshaft housing.

Add to that a custom adapter to mate the tcase to the tailshaft housing (not sure if its just a simple flat plate or if its got shaft seals and such in it)

And there is (or was) a commercially available shifter that mounted to the front access location. I think it was the Slik Stik made by McLeod, and is now available from Red Roberts (but I haven't checked it out so don't know for certain). Installing the shifter in that location does require some work on the trans internals (shorten the shift rail, not sure of anything else).

'JustDreamin'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2547643
'JustDreamin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'JustDreamin' View Post
And there is (or was) a commercially available shifter that mounted to the front access location. I think it was the Slik Stik made by McLeod, and is now available from Red Roberts (but I haven't checked it out so don't know for certain). Installing the shifter in that location does require some work on the trans internals (shorten the shift rail, not sure of anything else).
Keisler makes a front-access shifter kit. You do have to cut/drill the shift linkage rod.
85MikeTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #12
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

I talked to a gentleman this year at the Car Craft Summer Nationals in the Twin Cities,. He converted a 80's Ford Merkur to V8, turbo'd it, added a T56, and AWD Bravada transfer case . I was blown away by this. If I remember right, he used the main case out of a Viper, the midsection that bolt to the rear of a C5 vette, then used made his own adapter plate.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Haha, I just asked this question a few hours ago, my 86 k10 is gonna have a built 383, with 435 horses, I want to keep it stick, the NV4500 transmission is a modern five speed that bolts straight up to the existing sm465's transfercase, I want six gears, sounds like "just dreamin" wants that too, i really didn't read what it was going in, but if it's a p/u then the best way to go would probably be the nv4500 with the sixth gear sacrificed, I'm determined to figure out how to get the mm6 t56 on my truck with the existing transfer case, I'm also using the 86 350 stroked so I might have a bit more of a challenge then u if your using an ls1, that build for me would b my desire but it's a little beyond my budget, a 435 hp 383 stroker in my 86 k10 is still enough for me to get in trouble with haha, I'll get back to u with what I find on the t56 awd application, talk to you soon brother!
Superk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Hahahaha, that's what I get for posting and not reading, my post was directed to " I know nothings" Its looking like we might have to live without sixth gear, I'll keep researching
Superk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement