Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Vibration after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibration after clutch install

I just installed a monster stage 3 clutch and chromoly flywheel. The car drives ok (I’ve been taking easy for the first 500 miles for break in) but I notice a lot of vibration that starts at about 2500rpm, almost as if the flywheel is not balanced correctly. The flywheel does not require balancing does it? Is this vibration typical of lightweight flywheels? Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Old 06-27-2009, 08:29 PM
SKI
11 Second Club

Did you replace the pilot bearing ?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ls1greyhound
I just installed a monster stage 3 clutch and chromoly flywheel. The car drives ok (I’ve been taking easy for the first 500 miles for break in) but I notice a lot of vibration that starts at about 2500rpm, almost as if the flywheel is not balanced correctly. The flywheel does not require balancing does it? Is this vibration typical of lightweight flywheels? Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Yes, the flywheel is already balanced, and no it is not typical to have a vibration. Are you sure it is not "chatter" that you are getting, which is normal for a Level III, which will go away after your break in period.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

never heard of vibration from a clutch
Old 06-28-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

I did not replace the pilot bearing and its not chatter. the vibration happens in the mid rpm range even when the car is in neutral and slowly reving the engine.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:56 PM
FormerVendor

I did not replace the pilot bearing and its not chatter. the vibration happens in the mid rpm range even when the car is in neutral and slowly reving the engine.

Well, you should have replaced teh pilot bearing, as that can allow input shaft to "walk" around some, and cause a vibration. Why didn't you replace it, as a new one came with the kit
Old 06-28-2009, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Not replacing the pilot bearing was an oversite

If the old pilot bearing was bad wouldn't I of had this vibration before the clutch install?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

This worked pretty good, I did have to grind down the jaw tips so they could fit inside the pilot bearing center.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4876

Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input guys,

If it is the pilot bearing wouldn't I of had this vibration before the clutch install?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Also,

When I push the clutch in I still feel the vibration (only reving to about 2500rpm). The input shaft shouldn't be spinning when the clutch is disengaged, so doesn’t that eliminate the possibility that the pilot bearing is the problem?

Last edited by ls1greyhound; 06-29-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: correction
Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for all the input guys,

If it is the pilot bearing wouldn't I of had this vibration before the clutch install?

Possibly, but no guarantee's. Yanking the tranny, and say teh PB is getting old and crusty. Then you go to stab tranny in, and it causes the needlebearings to fall out, get pushed in. Is it a reach? Yeah. But is still that.....a possibility

Also,

When I push the clutch in I still feel the vibration (only reving to about 2500rpm). The input shaft shouldn't be spinning when the clutch is disengaged, so doesn’t that eliminate the possibility that the pilot bearing is the problem?

No. Even though input shaft is sitting still, pilot bearing is still going round and round (mated to crankshaft) and if it was bad, it could cause input hsaft to move around some. Again, a stretch, but still a possibility.

Now. Does the tranny still shift fine? Does it do it when you are sitting still? Like at a red light? What about in neutral? All gears?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Did you put your driveshaft back in the same position? You could try rotating it 180 degrees.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gen414
Possibly, but no guarantee's. Yanking the tranny, and say teh PB is getting old and crusty. Then you go to stab tranny in, and it causes the needlebearings to fall out, get pushed in. Is it a reach? Yeah. But is still that.....a possibility

No. Even though input shaft is sitting still, pilot bearing is still going round and round (mated to crankshaft) and if it was bad, it could cause input hsaft to move around some. Again, a stretch, but still a possibility.

Now. Does the tranny still shift fine? Does it do it when you are sitting still? Like at a red light? What about in neutral? All gears?
I’m starting to subscribe to the pilot bearing theory. I called monster today and they also suspect the pilot bearing, they told me to give them a call when I get it back apart and they’ll walk me through checking some measurements on the pressure plate to ensure it is in spec. I really hope it is the pb (and I assume it is) because I really don’t want to do this a 3rd time. Their customer support has been great.

The tranny shifts fine. The vibration occurs at a stop, in neutral, clutch in, clutch out, and driving down the road in all gears. It is dependent on rpm only and does not change with mph.

Originally Posted by 94LT1420
Did you put your driveshaft back in the same position? You could try rotating it 180 degrees.
The vibration exists even when sitting still and slowly revving the engine in neutral, so It can’t be the driveshaft
Old 06-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

If the vibration is there when the car is sitting still and you rev the engine, thats a balancing issue. I can almost guarantee you its not the pilot bearing.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 PM
FormerVendor

I’m starting to subscribe to the pilot bearing theory. I called monster today and they also suspect the pilot bearing, they told me to give them a call when I get it back apart and they’ll walk me through checking some measurements on the pressure plate to ensure it is in spec. I really hope it is the pb (and I assume it is) because I really don’t want to do this a 3rd time. Their customer support has been great.

The tranny shifts fine. The vibration occurs at a stop, in neutral, clutch in, clutch out, and driving down the road in all gears. It is dependent on rpm only and does not change with mph.
Yes, teh guys over at Monster are great to deal with. Let us know when you get it back apart, so we can get you taken care of. Sitting still and doing it, still could be a couple things, but you are getting narrowed. As long as tranny shifts fine, and no funny noise's (was thinking that if tranny did not shift fine, or if there was some noise, you coudl have left some botls loose or something like that) but, I believe it is now donw to 1 of 2 things. Either pilot bearing or balance. Let us know when you get it torn down.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gen414
Yes, teh guys over at Monster are great to deal with. Let us know when you get it back apart, so we can get you taken care of. Sitting still and doing it, still could be a couple things, but you are getting narrowed. As long as tranny shifts fine, and no funny noise's (was thinking that if tranny did not shift fine, or if there was some noise, you coudl have left some botls loose or something like that) but, I believe it is now donw to 1 of 2 things. Either pilot bearing or balance. Let us know when you get it torn down.
will do, thanks again for the help!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys, I meant to update this thread awhile ago. I’m still not positive what was causing the vibration because I destroyed the old pilot bearing when I was removing it. The problem may have been the bearing or possibly a bent clutch disk from fighting the transmission on the first install. Monster sent me a new stage 3 kits no questions ask (even though the problem was probably not their fault). I have about 500 miles on the car since the fix and it’s running smooth. I haven’t beat on it yet but so far the clutch feels great with almost no chatter. After my positive experience with Monster’s excellent customer service, I highly recommend giving them a shot if you need a new clutch.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 PM
FormerVendor

Hey guys, I meant to update this thread awhile ago. I’m still not positive what was causing the vibration because I destroyed the old pilot bearing when I was removing it. The problem may have been the bearing or possibly a bent clutch disk from fighting the transmission on the first install. Monster sent me a new stage 3 kits no questions ask (even though the problem was probably not their fault). I have about 500 miles on the car since the fix and it’s running smooth. I haven’t beat on it yet but so far the clutch feels great with almost no chatter. After my positive experience with Monster’s excellent customer service, I highly recommend giving them a shot if you need a new clutch.

Thanks again for all the help!

Good, glad you got all fixed up. Thanks for teh update. Even though you had a problem, you can now see why Monster has gained a reputation that is tough to compete with...not only do they offer an outstanding product, the customer service is 2nd to none (well, aside from mine anyways )
Old 08-17-2009, 01:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to take care of you!

Get us that old unit back please sir.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Glad to take care of you!

Get us that old unit back please sir.
Will do. I'll send a tracking number once I ship it. I'll try to get it sent out in the next couple days. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Vibration after clutch install