Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help with my clutch. PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with my clutch. PLEASE!!!

ok guys, I just bought a new Spec stage 3+ clutch, and I was just wondering if there were anything else Id have to buy to make everything work together. also, if anyone out there has ever done a clutch by themselves, how much time and effort does it take? I would like to learn everything bout this as much as i can before I start disassembling the drivetrain.

thanks guys
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mitahuoch
ok guys, I just bought a new Spec stage 3+ clutch, and I was just wondering if there were anything else Id have to buy to make everything work together. also, if anyone out there has ever done a clutch by themselves, how much time and effort does it take? I would like to learn everything bout this as much as i can before I start disassembling the drivetrain.

thanks guys

There is a Spec tech on this site (have not seen him in awhile though)

I would recommend a new slave/TOB, brake cleaner, lint free towels, pilot bearing, pilot bearing puller, disc alignment tool, an extra pair of hands, a jack, jack stands, extensions and wobble sockets, drain pan, and some basic hand tools.
First time doing it 6-10 hours (depending on your mechanical know-how).
Not sure if you r Spec setup comes with a new fly or not, if not, I would A)buy a new one or B)resurface your old one
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Mita, sorry for the delayed response. We were out of the office last week for the 4th and I have been working hard to catch up on emails, phone calls and forum questions. The kits we provide for LS1 applications include the pressure-plate, disc, TOB, Pilot bearing and alignment tool. You will also need to either resurface your OE flywheel or purchase a new flywheel to insure that the clutch has a flat surface to seat too which allows the assembly to provide better life and performance.

As for the job itself I suggest that you refer to a factory (or similar) service manual. This job isn't that difficult but every person's skill level and tool box contents are different. If you have performed a clutch install (on a RWD car) previously the steps should be pretty similar. The one thing you want to be sure of is insuring that the slave-cylinder is in proper working order. I suggest installing a new slave when putting a new clutch in as this will reduce the chances of having future problems with an older/used unit.

You will also want to check a few measurements to insure whether you need to use our shim or not. Joey from tick has a great write-up on this forum that addresses these measurements with diagrams that provide a good representation of the parts too. I have included a link to this below for reference.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html

Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

here you go http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ch_install.htm

Quick Reply: Need help with my clutch. PLEASE!!!