Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

how long do they last?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long do they last?

I am considering buying a '99 T56 trans with 90k miles on it. The guy said it doesn't pop out of gear, no grinding, no problems. Came out of a wreck camaro. He is selling it for $1200. I'm in Honolulu, Hawaii and we don't come across these very often.

My question is much more will i get out of this trans before i might start to have problems? I know there are a lot of variables involved here. My other option is to buy a rebuilt t56 from a mainland company.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:52 AM
11 Second Club

Mile accumulation wise I've never seen a problem out of a T56, but as every mechanical working part maintenance and abuse goes a long way. The stock one in my car lasted all the way till about 90K. I started having problems out of third and it was getting a bit noisy, but mine was constantly abused and I spray my car. If it was taken good care of or atleast not beat the **** out of ALL the time you will probably be fine..... but you are still buying a USED part so its at your own risk. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Yeah, there is NO way to be able to tell you how long it will last, especially since you have no idea on how it was taken care of (or lack of) and how much it was abused. That being said, IF the tranny had been maintained, and IF the tranny had not been abused, and IF you don't abuse it and you take care of it, the tranny could last you a couple hundred/few hundred thousand miles (or more). But, you start abusing it/lack of maintenance and such, all that goes out teh window.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info. If i do need to rebuild it, that would add a couple of hundred to the total deal. Would it be better to buy a rebuilt trans and have it shipped to hawaii? What are some place to search for rebuilt t56?

Quick Reply: how long do they last?