Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed Monster clutch and new problems arose

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed Monster clutch and new problems arose

I started last night and finished up installing my Monster level 3 clutch today. My previous one was a Spec 3. I've previously had a Mcloud master, but it went bad a while ago so I'm running the stocker again with no problems until now (power shifted the hell out of it and it never missed a beat). I also had a problem with the fluid level dropping slowly but never found any fluid on the ground or on any components.

While the trans was out I replaced the slave just in case that's was causing the fluid problem and removed the shim per the instructions. The new clutch went in easily. I bled the system, but when testing it on jack stands with the motor running it's VERY difficult to get it into gear initially, indicating I believe that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Once into gear you can run it through the gears with the motor running and it seems fine, but if you stop it then the problem comes back. I re bled it a bunch, but it never got any better (I've bled LS1's dozen's of times and never had this problem before, but there is a first time for everything, lol).

I contacted Monster and the general consensus was that it is a bleeding problem or a problem with the master. They recommended pressure bleeding it, so I'm borrowing a friend's vacuum tool to vacuum bleed it next week. I've also ordered a Tick master since the stock ones seem to cause problems alot of the time anyway and I seemed to have fluid disappearing slowly. Also, the adjustability might come in handy as I like a clutch that grabs high and this one feels like it's gonna grab close to the floor from how it feels so far (haven't driven it yet obviously).

Next week I'll install the new master and bleed the system and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Get it bled good, and put some miles on it. It will come up quite a bit.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 PM
FormerVendor

Agred, bleed it REAL good, put some miles on it, and report back....should be good to go...
Old 08-15-2009, 05:01 AM

Yeah, I'll definitely do that. I can't drive it as it sits now, because it won't disengage fully and goes very hard into gear from a stop (and not at all into reverse). I don't want to drive it until it's working properly so I don't hurt the clutch, but once it's bled I'll start breaking it in and see if it improves.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:08 AM
9 Second Club

If you still have your mcloed master rebuild it and put it in. There very easy to rebuild and cheap to. Just get a wheel cylinder honing tool and new rubber cups and your good to go. Heres the part numbers Wilwood rebuid kit 260-5921 or
Napa PN 12400

Last edited by smokeum99ta; 08-15-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:39 PM

^I thought about doing that, and still might do it just to have an extra one (thanks for the part number), but I've already ordered the Tick, and I've heard nothing but good things about it so I figured I'd give it a try.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On a few 3.5's we did it was very notchy to get into 1st or reverse when it was new.I figure this is probly caused by high spots in the clutch.After some break in miles the cars shifted perfectly and no more problems going into those gears anymore.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

keep us up to date bro......
Old 08-16-2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
On a few 3.5's we did it was very notchy to get into 1st or reverse when it was new.I figure this is probly caused by high spots in the clutch.After some break in miles the cars shifted perfectly and no more problems going into those gears anymore.
I was wondering if it could be something like that, but it's extremely hard to get it into first and won't go into reverse at all, so I figure it's probably dragging a bit. I should be able to vacuum bleed it and install the new master later this week so hopefully I'll have good news once the new parts are in.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to get this car into first gear and gave up because I felt like I was going to hurt something in the transmission. That's how difficult it is. SRZ had to literally muscle it into first and then the wheels immediately started spinning. From what I saw, it's pretty clear the clutch isn't even coming close to fully disengaging. You definitely can't drive the car as it sits.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

I think it might be a good chance that its just your master cylinder getting a bit tired. It might have worked well on your spec 3 because by the time you put the old master back in, the spec 3 was broken in and a bit worn out. Now that you have another new tough pressure plate in there, it just cant do the job now. Same thing happened to me when I put a heavy clutch in my friends Supra TT. We put a master in it and problem solved. My bet is that the Tock will take care of it, and stop trying to force it into gear in the mean time. good luck.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
I think it might be a good chance that its just your master cylinder getting a bit tired. It might have worked well on your spec 3 because by the time you put the old master back in, the spec 3 was broken in and a bit worn out. Now that you have another new tough pressure plate in there, it just cant do the job now. Same thing happened to me when I put a heavy clutch in my friends Supra TT. We put a master in it and problem solved. My bet is that the Tock will take care of it, and stop trying to force it into gear in the mean time. good luck.
The Spec 3 went in after the master went in, but you could definitely be right about it. There aren't alot of miles on the car, but they were definitely hard miles

I haven't played around with it (forcing it into gear) except for a couple times when I first got the clutch in and then once more to move the car out of the garage. Other than that the car has just sat and I haven't touched it. Later this week I'll get the new master in and bleed the system and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

I agree with most here, it's either air in the system or the plagued master cylinder problem.

Either way, we've got more Level 3's out there than any of our other clutches, with over 1,000 on the street now we've never had disengagment issues that were the pressure plate or disc problem, all of them have been hydraulic. Call me if you have any other questions.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Call me if you have any other questions.
Sure thing! Everyone was helpful on the phone when I called and I have the new master on the way along with a vacuum tool to bleed it, so I'm hoping to have good news about it by Friday.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Please post up your results
Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

The new Tick master cylinder is being installed as I type this (too bad I'm not there to help with that fun job...). Results should be posted tonight.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 PM

Ok, I got my Tick master yesterday and threw it in today. Definitely not a fun job between it's size and that freaking bracket under the dash that the bolts have to go through, but it was well worth the effort. I bled it while it was out of the car and then adjusted it until I was able to put it in gear normally. The pedal felt much better also.

I then took it to a flat spot and did the high rpm rollout test and it moved slightly above 6K rpm. I adjusted it out a bit more and it got better, only moving very slightly. I then drove it for about 4 miles and everything felt good. I did the test once more and the car barely moved so I'm gonna leave it alone until I get it broken in and then test it again and see how it shifts at high rpm at WOT.

Initial driving impressions (after the first 9 miles ) are very good. The pedal feels firm, but light compared to the other aftermarket clutches I've driven. The clutch also grabs hard, but does not chatter at all. It'll probably take a month or so to get it broken in, but as soon as it is I'll let you guys know how high rpm shifts and launches go
Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

same exact problem and i orderd my tick today.hopefully it sovles my problem to.if i would of new i was gonna have to spend this much money on this clutch i would have want a different route.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 PM

Yeah, the master definitely wasn't cheap, but I'm hoping it'll be the last one I have to buy.

Mileage count for break in (non highway miles only): 500 (0 to go)

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 08-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Yeah, the master definitely wasn't cheap, but I'm hoping it'll be the last one I have to buy.

Mileage count for break in (non highway miles only): 46 (454 to go)
Give me the keys and I'll help you break it in.

Quick Reply: Installed Monster clutch and new problems arose