Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lost 1st and reverse. Clutch, tranny or shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost 1st and reverse. Clutch, tranny or shifter?

Mornin'.

I've lost 1st gear and reverse in my 04 GTO. Clutch is a stock C5 clutch with about 40k miles on it. No slipping or any other problem prior to this popping up. Did a spirited little burnout and problem showed up immediately afterward. Pops out of 1st when I let the clutch out. Will go into reverse but only under much protest. Wants to grind and/or pop out. Shifter is a GMM ripshift.

Could it be the clutch? It feels like it's not disengaging fully. Tranny? Synchros? Maybe the stops on the shifter? All the other gears are fine... so far anyway.

New slave/throw out bearing last year.

I have a brand new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch to be put in. I'm just hoping that fixes the problem but a nagging little voice says it won't. Car hasn't been raced since 07 and is now just daily driven, mostly highway. Has 128k miles on it.

Ideas?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

I would say if the car still moves it is not your clutch, I would say it is more then likely something internal.
A couple of years ago I was beating on mine when it got stuck in first gear, I busted one of those little keys and sent it through the gears and messed it up. Once I used both hands and yanked it out of first, it would still go back in, it would not engage very smoothly through
Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Teching In

That's kinda my fear. The fact that it's okay in all the other gears... 2nd thru 6th. I'm hoping maybe the shifter stops have moved somehow or something and just need adjusting.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you mean all the other gears are ok? Can you take off from a dead stop, in 2nd gear? 3rd gear?

Both 1st and Rev could have gone out internally, but it would be a coincidence.. Check the Clutch for drag, bleed the hydraulics, and check the shifter first-off though..
Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Yes, I can take off from a dead stop in 2nd and 3rd. It seems to be only 1st and reverse that are affected.

I've got a post up on ls1gto.com as well and am hearing more and more about the shifter stops, which, with the way it's acting, makes sense. The clutch fluid was changed last summer... has maybe 20k miles of easy, daily driving on it with only just a couple small burnouts. Nothing major at all.

Now I'm just looking for someone that'll look at all this stuff without charging me an arm, leg and my first born to do it. LOL!

Wait... maybe taking my first born wouldn't be that bad. j/k
Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lilgtogurl
Yes, I can take off from a dead stop in 2nd and 3rd. It seems to be only 1st and reverse that are affected.

I've got a post up on ls1gto.com as well and am hearing more and more about the shifter stops, which, with the way it's acting, makes sense. The clutch fluid was changed last summer... has maybe 20k miles of easy, daily driving on it with only just a couple small burnouts. Nothing major at all.

Now I'm just looking for someone that'll look at all this stuff without charging me an arm, leg and my first born to do it. LOL!

Wait... maybe taking my first born wouldn't be that bad. j/k
Would not say clutch related (since it is fine in all other gears), so internal problem or shifter stops.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
Would not say clutch related (since it is fine in all other gears), so internal problem or shifter stops.
Any idea what sort of possible internal problem? Synchronizers? Something worse?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

I have the same problem with my camaro. reverse will not stay in. i asked someone before and they said it was the Synchro in reverse. he had the problem and the way he dealt with it was to put the gear in, hold the brake down and let the clutch out slowly until he felt the gear catch. i do the same now when i have to reverse it works about 95% of the time. beats taking out the tranny
Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lilgtogurl
Any idea what sort of possible internal problem? Synchronizers? Something worse?

Popping out of gear, is normally key's/fork problem, BUT, since it is not doing this in 2nd, I doubt that. 1st gear engagment teeth are probaly shot, which would be kind of weird also (that normally happens with 2,3 or 4 (gears that are slammed the most).

I will say, that IF that is the only problem, that it won't be that big of a deal to fix (parts wise).

HOWEVER, would check with shifter stops first, since teh easiest and cheapest (FREE!!!)

Quick Reply: Lost 1st and reverse. Clutch, tranny or shifter?