Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter Bolts Length?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shifter Bolts Length?

How long are the four bolts that secure the shifter to the T56 supposed to be? I have four bolts that came with my swap parts that have the right thread. However, they are 1 3/16 long, and while the hole they go in seems about that deep, none of the four bolts will thread in any further than about halfway. This leads me to believe that the bolts are the wrong length. Can anyone confirm/deny this? It seems like a pretty short bolt would do the trick, since the part of the shifter plate that the bolts pass through is quite thin.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock bolts are 0.750" UHL. The ones that bolt the Rev-Lockout box on the top of the C5 T56 are about 1.000 UHL. I've been able to get the 1.0" UHL bolts to work, but only after running a thread cleaner down the holes, and a pick to get all the RTV build up out. If your bolts are 1-3/16 UHL, they won't work, but if they are just 1-3/16 total length, you might be able to get them to work as noted above.

YMMV
Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Mike, you seem to know a lot about bolts...thank goodness, because these types of questions can go unanswered.

The bolts I have are 1 3/16 measured from just under the head to the end of the thread. As I noted, none will go any further than 1/2 way into the hole, so unless I clean and re-thread the holes, I don't think they'll fit. based on your length of .750", they sound long, anyway. I was in the dark about what the issue was since the seller included them, so I initially assumed they were correct and that maybe my holes were all tweaked i.e. stripped halfway down.

I'll get some smaller bolts. BTW, I measured them as being 5/16x20...sound right?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Well, I just cut mine with a Dremel to be 3/4" long, and they worked great. Thanks for your reply. Without it, I would have been wondering.

Quick Reply: Shifter Bolts Length?