Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 help

ok so when i bought my t56 the guy told me it had troubles goin into 3rd and 4th. when the trans was dry it was ok but when i added fluid thats when i saw that it does have trouble goin into 3rd and 4th. now my question is....

Does it sound like its just synchros?

i got a quote from a local trans shop that ive used before, he said $225 for labor and then whatever parts is. anyone on here know anybody cheaper and might know what it is so i know how much money to get?

i dont have much money at the moment (unemployment) but i need to finish the car so i have something to drive. this is pretty much the only thing holding me up.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Are you using synthetic? A lot of people have issues with synthetic fluids in T56. I use Penzoil Syncromesh. Its worth a shot before you take the trans out. It probably wont fix it completely but may make it driveable for a while.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

well the trans is out of the car at the moment. im thinkin of throwin it back in and try driving it for a while until i can save up to have it fixed.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

What do you mean "dry"? Were you driving @ with NO fluid the the tranny?

No wonder it messed up

Now, if you can not get it into gear, 3rd OR 4th, probaly a key issue (willing to bet on that.)

Now, it COULD be a fork pad on teh 3/4 fork, or 3rd and 4th gear synchro's, BUT, if the problem happened @ same time (having hard time getting into 3 and 4) then would put money on key, then fork pad, in that order. Even though at that point it does not matter, since tranny has to be opened up anyways.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

no ive never driven the car with this trans or any trans at the moment. i mean when i bought it and i tried going through the gears it went in fine.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 306 Likes on 231 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Unless the Fork is broken or the Keys are bound up it's going to slide into gears fine when it's out of the car and sitting still. You don't know if everything is good till you get it in the Car and spinning.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RPD_Vette84
no ive never driven the car with this trans or any trans at the moment. i mean when i bought it and i tried going through the gears it went in fine.

Oh boy, if having a hard time getting into gear sitting on a work bench, you are gonna have a real fun time trying to get it into gear in a car. In other words, AIN'T gonna happen.

This is what I would do (ANYONE can do this)

Take off the midplate. Not the bellhousing, but the "midplate" which is the plate that bolts behind teh bell, and is @ 2" thick, and holds the input shaft (4th gear) in place. Now, when you take off teh midplate, 4th gear will be real loose, and you will be able to wiggle it, and will fall off in your hands. Then you will be able to see your "keys", and fork. Will try and get pics up to show you...

Originally Posted by the_merv
Unless the Fork is broken or the Keys are bound up it's going to slide into gears fine when it's out of the car and sitting still. You don't know if everything is good till you get it in the Car and spinning.

Agreed
Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Now, I know this is a 6060, and not a T56, but same concept. This picture is with midplate removed, and what you will see with 4th gear still in place. Hopefully someone will help out, and post up a pic without 4th gear in teh way, so you will see what you are looking for...

This is a pic of side view of tranny, and the front section is teh midplate, that you will need to unbolt. Now, teh area in FRONT of the huge green stripe I painted, is teh midplate (guys, you can laugh at my photshop now, as I have never attempted it before, and with short notice to work, is what I came up with )

Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 306 Likes on 231 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There was a great pic here a while back..I can't find it..
Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

well its at the shop. my buddy said he'll help me out with it.

Quick Reply: T56 help