Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is It Time To Rebuild My Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is It Time To Rebuild My Transmission?

I have a 1999 T/A with 116,000 miles, I recently broke my slave cylinder and had it replaced. After getting it back form the shop it grinds while releasing the clutch in first and second gears. They would't take responsibilty and said that I need a new tranny. Basically, I have to start off at around 1,000 rpms or I get the grind. The guy said it shouldn't happen on level ground or downhill but on inclines and at high rpms it will grind, something about the load on the transmission, he said something about a bad bearing. I have bad 3/4 synchros too.

My concern I have is how reliable is a rebuilt tranny from say, Tick Performance? Will they run as long a new ones? I don't want to spend the money if they have a short lifespan. Does anybody know how long they can run? Thanks.

Last edited by Hypnotic; 10-09-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you need to find another shop, and get a lawyer...
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hypnotic
I have a 1999 T/A with 116,000 miles, I recently broke my slave cylinder and had it replaced. After getting it back form the shop it grinds while releasing the clutch in first and second gears. They would't take responsibilty and said that I need a new tranny. Basically, I have to start off at around 1,000 rpms or I get the grind. The guy said it shouldn't happen on level ground or downhill but on inclines and at high rpms it will grind, something about the load on the transmission, he said something about a bad bearing. I have bad 3/4 synchros too.

My concern I have is how reliable is a rebuilt tranny from say, Tick Performance? Will they run as long a new ones? I don't want to spend the money if they have a short lifespan. Does anybody know how long they can run? Thanks.

1st of all, if none of that happened BEFORE you took it in, do as 85MIke said.

2nd...rebuilt tranny. Well, what I can tell you is that when my shop rebuilds a tranny, it be BETTER than a stocker, and hence, last longer. Now, of course, HOW you drive it and such will be a determining factor as well. BUT,with our Level 2, we replace teh weak links in the stock tranny with better parts, and hence, we are "building a better mouse trap"
Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses. Wouldn't hiring a lawyer be more expensive than rebuilding?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hypnotic
Thanks for the responses. Wouldn't hiring a lawyer be more expensive than rebuilding?

Not if you WIN....the shop pays expenses at that point.

Check your PM's, as I sent you a response with pricing and details/info on it.

Any questions, you can call/pm/email.

Thanks