Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 won't go into 5th

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The Tail Shaft Housing has to come off for everything 5th, 6th, and Reverse related. I have to pull mine off to switch the Synchro's around..pretty simple.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realise I'm bringing up an old thread here but this sounds a lot like what mine does. Doesn't grind at all putting into gear with clutch pressed but once I let the clutch out it grinds and comes out of gear. If it is worn shift fork pads or whatever on mine can you pull the tail housing in car or does the trans still need to come out completely. If I'm not mistaken if it were the synchro it would grind going in with the clutch pressed correct or am I mistaken. If it's just the pads that would save me a lot of money then having the whole trans rebuilt
Old 09-02-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the cup before dropping anything. Stock unit is plastic, in this thread it actually looks like it very well may have been damaged, as it's chipped on the lip in the pic posted. Bronze aftermarket are now available
Old 10-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Smile ,,,,,

Originally Posted by therobman
also if its not adjustments on the shifter it could be the shifter cup its a plastic piece under the shifter mine broke and i couldnt go into 3rd put a bronze one and it was all good
where did you get your replacement? Or I mean was it easy to replace?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PNYHNTR
I realise I'm bringing up an old thread here but this sounds a lot like what mine does. Doesn't grind at all putting into gear with clutch pressed but once I let the clutch out it grinds and comes out of gear. If it is worn shift fork pads or whatever on mine can you pull the tail housing in car or does the trans still need to come out completely. If I'm not mistaken if it were the synchro it would grind going in with the clutch pressed correct or am I mistaken. If it's just the pads that would save me a lot of money then having the whole trans rebuilt
Mine does the exact thing. Same with reverse gear. Hoping it's an easy cheap fix for me as well. The plastic cup is fine with mine too
Old 10-13-2015, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Chiming in as I just bought a T56 car without 5th gear. As said above it sounds like that can be repaired by removing the driveshaft and tailshaft housing?

When I try to shift to 5th, the shifter locks in fine, but letting the clutch out it just feels like neutral. I'm assuming it is probably the fork pads as shown in the previous pics. Anyone done a repair on their car? Does the trans need to come out or can you stick it on a lift and repair it in car?
Old 10-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Unhappy T56 transmission wont go into 3rd/5th gear smoothly

Hi, new to ls1tech my car was driving fine until a week ago. Where the tranny was grinding into 3rd and 5th. Now I follow other threads and change the shifter cup to the bronze one, and somewhat worked now I can shift into 3rd and 5th but at a low rpm?
So I'm wondering could it be the Clutch cable or the synros?
thanks in advance...

Quick Reply: T-56 won't go into 5th