Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whine/Humm upon clutch disengagement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Whine/Humm upon clutch disengagement?

Hey all,

Last summer the car got a Monster Stg 3 clutch and Chromoly flywheel. About a month after the install I started to notice a slight hum/whine when I released the clutch, it would start light and get more pronounced as the load was transferred. It isn't a rear end whine, any thoughts? A bearing maybe? The car really hasn't been beaten on.... yet....and has only about 13k miles on it....

Everything else seems great clutch holds extremely well, engages solidly etc etc....probably just a bearing issue but I am here for ideas!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience when my pilot bearing failed.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going through a similar thing right now. I just found my pilot bushing was shot.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same issue. Talked about it in another thread about a noisy squealing when clutch is engaging. I've got 10k on mine now but its made the noise for a while and got a little louder recently. Didnt realy get a true explanation except could be weather(i dont think so), clutch could be done, bearing like ^ said, or possible scarring/dirty clutch/flywheel.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSINNER
I've got the same issue. Talked about it in another thread about a noisy squealing when clutch is engaging. I've got 10k on mine now but its made the noise for a while and got a little louder recently. Didnt realy get a true explanation except could be weather(i dont think so), clutch could be done, bearing like ^ said, or possible scarring/dirty clutch/flywheel.
Mine is really a lower humm though I have had TOB's go out before and I know what they sound like but this is slightly different. It isn't too bad right now and if it gets worse I'll probably just pull the trans and replace the pilot bearing. Good luck on your issue as well lol, frustrating as hell I know.

I see in your sig that you have a MWC 9", how do you like it? I will be doing mine here in a couple of months.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a squawking noise when you are engaging the clutch this means the disc is glazed. You need to take the car to the track (or a deserted road) and launch it aggressively a few times to "knock" off the glaze. After you do this change your driving habits and slip the clutch less when you are taking off during normal driving.

If this doesn't describe your issue call us, we can't help you out if you don't contact us.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
If you have a squawking noise when you are engaging the clutch this means the disc is glazed. You need to take the car to the track (or a deserted road) and launch it aggressively a few times to "knock" off the glaze. After you do this change your driving habits and slip the clutch less when you are taking off during normal driving.

If this doesn't describe your issue call us, we can't help you out if you don't contact us.
Thanks, I'll try it out and give you a call...I am thinking its a bearing, nothing happens upon engagement but upon a slow disengagement...like it traffic its just a hum not really a screech or squawk.

Jeff