Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Vibration After Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Vibration After Install

Just had my spec stage 3 clutch rebuilt and installed it this weekend. Problem is its shaking as if its unbalanced. The guy at the shop I had redo it tells me "Just bring me the flywheel, PP, and disk....I've been doing this for 17 yrs" so I say just do me right. I start to put it in Satuday and i notice no line up marks for the PP and FW.

Chilton says if its a new clutch it doesn't have to be oriented in any specific way. So I just install it, taking all the necessary steps. Get it together and it's obviously unbalanced.

Call the guy and he said he didn't balance it!!! Question is how bad for my drive train is this going to be if i let it ride. It's not that bad...but not that good either...
Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

Balance is a big thing! Every kit we ship has information included relative to balancing (had you bought a complete assembly from us it would have been balanced before shipping). Remember the clutch and flywheel are part of the rotating assembly and proper balance is key. Bearing wear is the biggest factor when using an unbalanced assembly. My suggestion...don't risk it. Remove the parts and balance them together. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Thats what I was afraid of...Damnit!!! Anyone in Houston wanna earn some money!!! HAHAHAH!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to balance them?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

Anytime you reuse the stock flywheel it is best to balance it with your new clutch. This is due to the stock parts being balanced as an assembly versus being balanced individually. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 04-28-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are using a new FW, PP, and clutch disc does this require any kind of balancing? I'm installing an entire new clutch system in mine Saturday, and my understanding was that if you're not reusing the stock flywheel it's not necessary but now I'm curious...