Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I keep hitting 2nd, instead of 4th! wtf...??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I keep hitting 2nd, instead of 4th! wtf...??

This is the 3rd time ive done this in my 2002 ws6. ran 3rd gear out and plan to bang 4th, and bang 2nd some how?
At 75mph, bangin 2nd gear isnt cool..
The engine stalled, and the rear end feels and sounds like it kicking me in the back. I know you guys are thinking im a douche bag moron. But I swear im not. this issue is a first for me.. Other than my arm being the obvious fault.
Im starting to think the shifter ****, the stock leather hurst palm **** might be messing me up.. or the stock ws6 hurst shifter. I read all after market shifters say they make 2 to 3rd shifts perfect and not missable.
So im wondering if that will increase the error of my poor shifting by the 2-3 shift really being 3-2 all over again just worst than before...

Listen to this.....this is the main reason for this thread....
I could kill myself.. I just finished breaking in my new aam 4.10's, changed the fluids and rechecked my backlash, pattern etc..
All was perfect! no whine, just perfect!! i was proud of my install...
So about 200 miles later after the recheck and fluid change and soft driving. I do the 3rd to 2nd **** up, and kill me rear end some how? instant whine and growl. So i nursed it off the hwy, and made it home. Anything over 15mph the loud noise and growl happen. coast not so bad, just under load. I pulled the cover and inspected everything. the ring gear is perfect, the pinion is perfect. and also the torsen. The backlash is .001 off the original recheck, which i would imagine is some what normal for 700 miles of breakin driving on new gears. however the pattern is seriously off. Its like the pinion position moved forward, toward the driveshaft.. the best I can tell, Im out of gear paint to check the pattern better, so im at a stand still for a day or too... any "positive" input reguarding shifter solutions would be so helpful... negitive input will only make me feel more dumber than I already do...
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

1st off, try turning your palm out away from you (thumb down) when pulling back into fourth gear. That way, you have more of a tendency to push away from you rather than pull back towards you.

2nd off, it sounds like maybe you didn't have the crush sleeve crushed all the way when you set the pinion depth the first time, and the excessive strain crushed it for you.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=hivoltagedriver;13570598]1st off, try turning your palm out away from you (thumb down) when pulling back into fourth gear. That way, you have more of a tendency to push away from you rather than pull back towards you.

That does seem to work better. well, sitting here making the shifting motion. thanks for the advise hivolt...
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Launching!

any of you guys think i didnt crush the crush sleave enough?? now i have
1/4 inch of contact pattern on the inside of the ring gear. thats it after the 2nd gear bang...
Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
1st off, try turning your palm out away from you (thumb down) when pulling back into fourth gear. That way, you have more of a tendency to push away from you rather than pull back towards you.

2nd off, it sounds like maybe you didn't have the crush sleeve crushed all the way when you set the pinion depth the first time, and the excessive strain crushed it for you.
That's what I said...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Launching!

i was hoping for others to concur....and conferm your point..

Quick Reply: I keep hitting 2nd, instead of 4th! wtf...??