Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I think I killed my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I think I killed my clutch

Well, Let me start by saying this clutch has about 3000 miles on it, give or take. I bought it with my T56 swap and it was barely used for a few miles then. It is a centerforce I do not know the specific model of it. It has felt weak since I put it in.

The other day, I was at an uphill stopsign behind about 10 cars, so you can imagine what happened. I got up to the number 3 spot and when I went to go again, I got the clutch fully engaged and the car moving, suddenly I felt it slipping bad and the car immediately started to roll back. I think I hit about 4500rpm before I put the clutch back in. There was visible smoke and it smelled terrible. Well, I got up there and parked and it was OK when I came back out, but now when I floor it it definitely slips, especially in 4th gear or above.

My question, did I kill it for good? It doesn't have many miles so I really don't want to replace it if I don't have to. I've never had a clutch do that before, so I'm kinda confused as to what happened. It definitely just failed once it had a load on it. Up to then I didn't have any problems other than soft pedal.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have hot spots on the pressure plate disc with plenty of clutch pad left. Whenever it gets hot , its gonna slip. would I replace it? yes , its shot
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, sounds like a Centerforce dual friction clutch to me. They make great paper weights!!!

I would reccomend one from this guy personally: http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/

Throw his Diamond clutch in there, and you will never want another clutch, nor need one.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno if its a dual friction, how would I tell? All I know is its orange with counterweights and says centerforce haha. I was hoping it would last a while since I drive pretty conservatively on a day to day basis. My car is my DD for now so I need it to last.

Do you guys think it will limp along for another month or so if I don't drive it hard? I just don't have time to do a clutch swap right now with all the other stuff I have going on.