Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny/Rear end Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny/Rear end Noise

Alright, My rear end was rebuilt and I had 4.10 gears installed at the same time and they make the typical high pitched whine that most of them have....

Well... I have been having some transmission troubles recently so I decided to change the tranny fluid. I put in 4 quarts of GM Synchromesh (friction modified) and after a few days the transmission whines like a M$%&#@ F%$#@$!!!! And oddly it's the same noise as the rear end, just amplified through my tranny and thus my cabin!! Any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you mean by friction modified ? does it make noise before fluid change ? might go back to regular cheap dex 3 you can find.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Well, I took it for a spin after messing with a few things, and it making some terrible noises only to find a leaking ring and pinion seal... anyone ever replaced one of these? I know these leaks are pretty common, but this was a steady drip and judging from the splatter of gear oil all over the underside of my car, I would say I have a problem...
Old 07-24-2010, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

I had same trouble with the whine. It is transferring the noise/vibration thru your drivetrain so it feels like it is coming from the trans. Have your rear re-setup cuz its not right. My rear had the spacers for the carrier on wrong sides. Goodluck with the fix. Man I dont miss the 10 bolt days
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Well, I replaced the fluid and the pinion seal and filled it back up with some 80-90w fluid and some (in an attempt to stop the whining) and nothing. I suppose Getting the gears reset in the rear end might alleviate my problem but that costs money.. I also noticed the loud screaming noise is only brought on by acceleration. Not decelleration.

help!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Yup mine was more pronounced on accel but, was still there on decel. If you had a shop install them,, take it back. Install is not correct

Quick Reply: Tranny/Rear end Noise