Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

oops oil pouring out of tail housing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oops oil pouring out of tail housing

Could use a bit of help guys....I'm installing a Ls3/T56 into a BMW (thread in conversion section - Z3 install etc). The engine has been in and out loads of times with no problem. Tonight I pulled the engine out and whilst it was tail end down there was oil pouring out of the rear seal where the driveshaft goes in. Lost maybe a pint of oil until I got the engine level. Its not done that before but recently I fitted the driveshaft. The driveshaft is difficult to remove so I dropped the back of the tranny and slid the engine forward off the yoke.
Any idea what I have done and what to do about it? Is it just a matter of fitting a new rear seal? Maybe is got knackered as the joke fell out. I want to get the engine back in tomorrow and need to know if I can change the seal in situ. Thanks in advance guys...
Old 12-02-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by Deano1712
Could use a bit of help guys....I'm installing a Ls3/T56 into a BMW (thread in conversion section - Z3 install etc). The engine has been in and out loads of times with no problem. Tonight I pulled the engine out and whilst it was tail end down there was oil pouring out of the rear seal where the driveshaft goes in. Lost maybe a pint of oil until I got the engine level. Its not done that before but recently I fitted the driveshaft. The driveshaft is difficult to remove so I dropped the back of the tranny and slid the engine forward off the yoke.
Any idea what I have done and what to do about it? Is it just a matter of fitting a new rear seal? Maybe is got knackered as the joke fell out. I want to get the engine back in tomorrow and need to know if I can change the seal in situ. Thanks in advance guys...
If the oil leaked out while the slip yoke was removed, that is totally normal. Without the yoke you will have a leak.

Andrew
Old 12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for that Andrew. Why didnt it leak before then? I have had it on the hoist at about 10 degrees down several times with no oil coming out. Its a new T-56. Its only happened now after a yoke has been fitted.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe when you had it at 10* down on the hoist, the transmission fluid level was low enough that it didn't come out. When I pulled the T56 out of my old Camaro recently, I drained as much fluid as I could before having it slant back but once the angle was steep enough it still dripped like a quart more. I wouldn't worry, just make sure to fill it back up once it's back in.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for that. I think Im just plain stupid. When I fitted the engine previously the transit cap was fitted onto the splines. That must keep the oil in. Anyways happy days panic over.

Quick Reply: oops oil pouring out of tail housing