Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinds in 1st gear, only from a roll

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinds in 1st gear, only from a roll

I'm looking at a vehicle in another state and the owner told me the only problem is that the transmission grinds while shifting into first, but that the problem only occurs while the vehicle is rolling and that you will not notice it from a stop.

What could this be? Is it a sign the transmission is about to go or is it something minor?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be 1st gear, 1st syncro or 1st blocker is likely bad. Would have to rebuild the tranny.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Could be 1st gear, 1st syncro or 1st blocker is likely bad. Would have to rebuild the tranny.

Is it something that means the rest of the transmission is wearing, or is it an isolated type issue?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging when you press the clutch in. If it's dragging slightly then the tranmission input shaft is still moving at a decent speed when you try and grab first. I had a similiar issue with mine, it would grind slightly when I would coming up to a light or stop sign and I tried putting it into first without coming to a complete stop. All I did was bleed the system and it engages smoothly into 1st again. It could be bad hydraulics, air in the system or just bad brake fluid in the master/slave.

Does the transmission have trouble going into any other gear? Is the engagement point near the floor? Is the clutch pedal soft?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Counted Out

Is it something that means the rest of the transmission is wearing, or is it an isolated type issue?
Assuming the clutch is ruled out.
Maybe, maybe not. Simply have to take it apart and do an analysis of all the parts.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

my cts-v had the exact same issue, replaced the clutch, slave, flywheel, pilot and throwout bearings, and pressure plate.

car still has the exact same issue, and it's now going starting to grind going into 2nd.

it's either the master cylinder, or the transmission. I'm going to tell you to save your money on the clutch repair and just rebuild the tranny, which is what i'm about to do.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Agreed with above. Mine had/still has the problem you are describing. Grinding trying to get into first from a roll, then slowly started to happen when stopped too. Hoped it was the clutch but a monster clutch and a tick master later it still does it. Probably gonna need a rebuild.

-Will

Quick Reply: Grinds in 1st gear, only from a roll