Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS-V LS6 T56 clutch question

Sorry if its a dumb question but here we go-

I picked up an ACT clutch/pressure plate # GM9-HDR6
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

It obviously doesnt bolt up to my stock dual mass flywheel.
Can I just pick up one of these flywheels from Jegs?
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/601260/10002/-1?CT=999

And I have been reading alot about shimming the TOB but have found no definitive information in regards to my set up that I plan on using. Can anyone steer me in the correct direction? Please forgive me as I have limited internet access and could only search around a limited amount.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yes you should be able to bolt those together and work just fine. You will need a shim. About one inch worth but you will need to measure to make sure the exact dimension for this disc and pressure plate. You may be able to buy an LS7 slave and be fine as they are just about one inch longer than a stock slave.

Look for the "Does your clutch need a shim?" thread and that will give you all the info on measuring for the shim thickness.

How much power are you making to need a clutch that supposedly holds 925 ft lbs??? I bet that thing will be a pain in the *** to drive. If you are making any real power, I would buy a billet flywheel. Not a cast one.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Its actually pretty much a stock LS6 in my 240sx.

Using it for drifting and I know it's a bit "overkill" to say the least, but its the only clutch that I have ever liked with any of my set ups.

I've ran that exact clutch (unsprung variant sometimes) on my KA24E, SR20DET and RB25DET and have pounded the snot out of them, let my wife/friends slip the hell out of them and they lasted multiple years. ACT has my business for sure.

Plus next year its getting forced induction of some sort..

anyways, really appreciate the input.

Also, I've hunted around for just a throwout bearing. Jesus christ. The people at our local chevrolet dealership apparently have teenage girls working in the parts department and the kids at oreileys seem to think that I am talking about a pilot bearing and say that a throwout bearing doesnt exist. ugh. maybe ill just look into a whole ls7 set up.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

With drifting in mind, I would definitely not use a cast flywheel. If you like that disc and pressure plate, I would just buy a good billet flywheel and then measure for the slave. What master is going in the car? Is it an aftermarket? CTS-V? F-body? That will also determine what slave to go with as they have different connections types. I assumed it was was going in a V but thats what I get for assuming lol
Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Teching In

I used a custom flange to bolt up a wilwood 3/4" slave. Running custom line and fittings with a remote bleeder set-up.

I just need a cheap flywheel for the first couple races. I will upgrade later on.

I looked around and haven't found a shim yet. I will do my measuring this weekend to determine the shim thickness.

It's strange that a standard male fitting threads into the slave feed but the bleeder is an 8x1.25 metric.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Ok so yo did away with the original line that has the plastic QD on the V slave and just screwed into the slave?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Yeah, exactly
Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Teching In

So where is the best place to pick up shims?

just a flywheel shim right?
This whole shimming thing is new to me. Glad I jumped on the forums before I threw the engine in.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

You'll want to shim the slave. They install under the slave between the base and the trans front cover. You will need longer bolts as well as the shim. Katech sells a thick one but I don't know the dimensions. Speed Inc. sells some small shims but I personally had one made for free out of a piece of billet. It's nice to have friends. The other issue is, nobody that I have heard runs the ACT clutches other than the twin so the measurement for the single is unknown. I can tell you it will be getting close to 1".

Quick Reply: CTS-V LS6 T56 clutch question