Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pedal went to floor w no return

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch pedal went to floor w no return

So lastnight Im cruising down the road and all of the sudden my clutch pedal just goes to the floor and has no pressure.
I searched up on here and one person says its a the master cylinder and others say its the slave cylinder is there any way to tell which it is? Im gonna be pulling the tranny soon anyways for a new clutch but this is my DD so I need to get it up and running asap. I'm gonna pull the tranny at school tommorow but looking for some insight.

I tried pulling my quick disconnect so I could get the MC out but its not working. The white ring appears to be froze to the slave cylinder housing that is plugs into. I tried bleeding the clutch and I can get a very small amount of pressure and then it goes away. And I can hear the fluid squishing around when I push on the clutch pedal ( after I reach down and pull it up). Sorry If I'm not descriptive enough, this is a first for me working on a tranny.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem with my car. I went ahead and replaced both the slave and master cylinder but the first thing i would do is check you clutch fuid!! It can get dirty real easy and that can be the problem. I think that was my main problem because mine was black. But I would check the fluid. Drain it and replace it and see if that help first.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you happen to notice any fluid leaking from the bellhousing when you stopped? When those same symptoms happened to me, it was a broken M/C line connected at the slave, which you said obviously wasnt your problem.

And the quick disconnect is a pain to get out, it just takes 2 screwdrivers and tons of time and it will eventually pop out.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Launching!

The clutch fluid was a little black, not extremely bad. How do I drain it and flush the system? and ya there was fluid leaking on the ground at the stop light when the the clutch started acting up. When I got back to my house I found a little bit leaking but couldn't find an exact location. The MC line was clean so It had to be leaking from where it connects to the slave. Napa will have the MC in the morning so I may try that first. I really don't wanna pull the tranny and do the slave until I can pull it all and put my new motor in while Im at it.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Launching!

I flushed out the clutch fluid, I tried bleeding it and its just squirting out fluid, no air or anything. Im doing it correctly Im assuming?
Open bleeder
Depress clutch pedal
close bleeder
let up pedal?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give us a call at the shop and we can walk you through it. Chris 817-750-2000
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Launching!

WAIT, ive been in this situation before. Clutch pedal snapped to the floor and stayed there, if i pulled the pedal back up about halfway through its travel it would just snap back up, once i pushed it down it just snaps back down again.

So I was trying to figure out if it was the slave, or the master, or possibly clutch but i highly doubted it was clutch, had a feeling it was more hydraulics (fluid level was fine and colour was about perfect). Was about to order a tick master and a new slave, pay a shop to pull the tranny to check the clutch, replace slave etc etc etc.

So I bring it to the shop, they check it out, all it was was some kind of spring that snapped off. They call me within an hour or too. They tell me it was just some kind of pedal spring or master cylinder spring (cant remember) told me they fixed it, the clutch felt strong as hell (Tex oz700), clutch pedal feels beautiful etc etc etc, it was just some spring which didnt cost much at all. Fixed in 2 seconds and the car runs perfect again.

I was ready to dish out $1500 for a new Textralia clutch package (or possibly the monster equivalent of the oz700, not sure if i have x or z grip), new gm slave and TICK Master, instead i just paid them a few bucks for the spring, repair and got them to bleed the fluids. Perfect, Done!

I checked alllll over this site and other forums, couldnt find anyone else that did this. Everyone just went ahead and changed the master, or slave, or clutch, or throwout bearing, etc etc.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Pedal spring? the return spring looks fine on mine. If I push the pedal I can hear fluid but I cant feel any pressure. I bought a new slave and master cylinder. I'm gonna try the master first but I'm having issues getting the U-bolt out that mounts the master cylinder to the firewall. Any tips on it?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

same thing just happened to me 2 days ago. i put a new master/slave assembly in and now everything is back to normal.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Looks like I'm gonna be pulling the trans today....This is gonna suck. Thankgod for Colemans portable heaters.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Well I got the new slave, master and line in now I'm having issues bleeding it. I've never bled a clutch before and have no idea how to do it. I've tried two ways.
1-pump clutch
-crack bleeder
-depress pedal
-close bleeder
- pull pedal up and repeat
2- pump clutch
-depress pedal
-open bleeder
-close bleeder
-pull pedal back up

I have a little bit of pressure at the very bottom of the stroke of the pedal but not much.

I read about the mighty vac trick, is it worth a shot? Is it really easy as everyone says?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

when you say "little bit of pressure", are you pumping the pedal until you get a good pedal?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RADEoN
when you say "little bit of pressure", are you pumping the pedal until you get a good pedal?
No, the little bit of pressure is when I push the pedal to the floor before cracking the bleeder screw.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:47 AM

Default Clutch problem

My clutch cable came undone and everytime I pushy clutch in it keeps coming undone . Is that my master cylinder?? Any advice??

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal went to floor w no return