Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Yet another 4l60E to T56 thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another 4l60E to T56 thread!

Hey guys, I've got a 2000 z28 with the 4L60E, been looking to swap out to a T56. I know it's doable of course, but an opportunity struck me that may be too good to be true. First, my experience with transmissions in general is barely above average, I really haven't delved into them too much yet. In my head this idea seems really simple, but I want to get the input of some people much more knowledgeable about trannys than me.

Anyway, a local guy is in the market for a 4L60E, and he brought up as an afterthought almost that we could trade transmissions straight up. So I started thinking about it and it really doesn't seem like it would be too complicated. A little details about the cars, mine is a 2000 z28 as I said, his is a 2000 TA. So the same engine, same model year, different transmissions and of course rear ends. Given that they're the same model year, couldn't we straight up trade ECMs?

I'm sure there are many things I'm missing, so my question to y'all is just how complicated would the trade be, and am I better off just buying a swap kit?

Thanks guys for whatever input you can give me!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Most people have problems with the interior wiring.

The external (engine/trans) wiring is easy enough, in fact you need to add three wires to the A4 harness to make it work with an M6. I'd try to get another A4 harness for the guy so you don't have to take yours off.

The problem with swapping ECM's is that they have the VIN for each car in them. Someone told me that would be a problem with some state vehicle inspections.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

You can swap the VIN#'s from one ecm to another with a GM Tech2.. The dealership is about the only place I know where you can find one. Some individuals own them but they are few and far between.. I use a modis for my serious diagnostics. To get this done you would need someone "cool" from the dealer to perform it for you.. Otherwise yes, you could swap computers.. You could even swap the harnesses off of the cars.. They are not that difficult to do. Just time consuming.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

You could swap vins with hp tuners also.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

you dont need to swap ECM's. i did the swap and i never dropped a transmission in my life before that point. follow the stickys in this section and youll be fine. The neutral safety switch is run off your "park" wires and thats all you really need. You can add wiring so the reverse lockout solenoid(i didnt) works and then you extend the wires from "Reverse" to a sensor on the t56 to get the reverse light to work. I still have all the wiring from my 4l60e tied up on top my t56. A tune for an m6 car will get rid of the check engine light after the swap.

now i can see why he would want your ecm cus swapping to an auto has few more wiring tricks.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Its very doable but will be very time consuming doing 2 cars. I Followed the sticky in this thread and everything works as it should, lockout, cruise and all. Get a tune from FROST and your good to go.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

could also trade radiators, I might use my former-transmission cooler as a power steering cooler though after I look into it and make sure it'll work correctly
Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys for all the tips, much appreciated. Now I just need to find a couple weekends that I can make it happen in.

Quick Reply: Yet another 4l60E to T56 thread!